Discworld

In need of a translation from Polish to English

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

In need of a translation from Polish to English

Postby phalarope » Fri Aug 10, 2018 02:33 pm

I started to title this thread "In need of a Polish translator", and then the second thoughts bashed me over the head....

So - I have in my possession a a lovely paper entitled "Parasitological contamination of mussels and oysters", published this year and snagged off Research Gate. However, the printed title is "Zanieczyszczenie parazytologiczne małży i ostryg", and only the abstract and references are in English. :roll:

Would anyone here care to take a stab, or commandeer a Polish-speaking colleague? It's less than 5 pages. I can send a pdf.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Re: In need of a translation from Polish to English

Postby chrisboote » Fri Aug 10, 2018 04:00 pm

phalarope wrote:I started to title this thread "In need of a Polish translator", and then the second thoughts bashed me over the head....

So - I have in my possession a a lovely paper entitled "Parasitological contamination of mussels and oysters", published this year and snagged off Research Gate. However, the printed title is "Zanieczyszczenie parazytologiczne małży i ostryg", and only the abstract and references are in English. :roll:

Would anyone here care to take a stab, or commandeer a Polish-speaking colleague? It's less than 5 pages. I can send a pdf.

I'll dig out Pyotr, the Polish discworld translator's email address for you
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby Sandra » Fri Aug 10, 2018 09:08 pm

I have found that google translate will get you into the ball-park. And unless Pyotr is used to scientific translation, there might be a few words you will need to check there.

I worked for a company who needed medical translations - I still used google translate as the expensive translation service wasn't 100% - it was so much fun demanding a review when I was confronted with bad translations ('blue & black' in the place of bruising) while being a traditional monolingual Brit!
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby steeljam » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:11 pm

My daughter-in-law is Polish; how quickly do you need the translation?
Maybe when you visit.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Return to The Kitchen Table