Discworld

IT advice needed

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

IT advice needed

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:01 pm

Hi all, I need some advice:

I need to buy a new laptop* but haven't kept up to date with developments over the last couple of years and now have no idea which makes/models are now best. My current one is an Acer and frankly I haven't found it nearly as good as the AppleMac I had before it, but then it was also a lot cheaper - you get what you pay for!

I'm not a gamer, but do want one that's good at Photoshop and running graphic design software. My budget is probably around the £1k mark. I could go higher if necessary but £2k would be my limit.

Anyone got a piece of technological hardware wizardry that they could recommend? Any advice from you clever buggers would be most welcome! :)

* as my current one is now so slow at doing anything on t'internet and/or crashing all the time - even when you're just doing a normal word doc, that I'm not sure how long it'll be before it makes me so cross that I chuck the damn thing out of a window or take a hammer to it
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Re: IT advice needed

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:24 pm

I have always found Dell reliable and their customer service good, but that is on desktops. I'm about to replace my six year old laptop I just keep for back up it's a Medion with 8gig memory German make I do not like their version of the windows set up when using their help system and their customer service could have been a lot better. So I might wait until black Friday or cyber Monday to get a new one. I have been looking at some Ultrabook's Mac style but with windows (Chinese made) which have been getting good write ups in tech.

Have you tried resetting or reinstalling your windows OS or doing a defrag or clean out of old flies as it sounds like you may have some corrupted files if it keeps crashing.
A Midgie in yur hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Whos Wee Dug

Postby Sandra » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:46 pm

What you will need to check is what operating system/s your graphic software needs.

I'm doing OK with an old Dell working on Linux/Zorin and all my software is free (LibreOffice). It was a second hand office one that Adrian set up for me.

Adrian just got an Alienware desktop - the laptop versions will be in your budget. They have five years warranty (on site) and the McAfee 3 year licence (unlimited number of systems and specially optimised for the laptop).

Only thing you really will need is SSD - do not touch anything still using magnetic media - it's pretty much obsolete stock being cleared now.
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Sep 24, 2018 03:47 pm

Doug - I probably do need to do a hard-drive clean up, but the sad truth is that this laptop is a bit elderly now and to be honest wasn't all that powerful to begin with, as I had a very limited budget at the time I bought it. It struggles to run even the basic version of Sketchup let alone some of the other design software that I'd really like to get!

Sandra - I use LibreOffice too and have done for years and it's fine for most purposes, but some of the advanced formatting options aren't quite as good as MS Office and the LibreCalc seems to crash all the time but that might just be my old laptop struggling. I've never heard of Alienware before so will look them up this evening - thanks for the tip :thumbl:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Mon Sep 24, 2018 05:36 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:Doug - I probably do need to do a hard-drive clean up, but the sad truth is that this laptop is a bit elderly now and to be honest wasn't all that powerful to begin with, as I had a very limited budget at the time I bought it. It struggles to run even the basic version of Sketchup let alone some of the other design software that I'd really like to get!

Sandra - I use LibreOffice too and have done for years and it's fine for most purposes, but some of the advanced formatting options aren't quite as good as MS Office and the LibreCalc seems to crash all the time but that might just be my old laptop struggling. I've never heard of Alienware before so will look them up this evening - thanks for the tip :thumbl:

They are the top of the line from Dell, I bought a Alienware desk top and am really happy with it, I prefer desktops to laptops as I also bought a large monitor as I can get all of my spreadsheets (for Books) on the screen without scrolling across.

They are gaming machines so have a lot of memory, a few lighting flashes on the panels and the illuminated Alien head which makes a nice change from the ubiquitous Black lumps sitting on your desk. Dell have a UK site.
Whos Wee Dug

Postby Sandra » Mon Sep 24, 2018 06:41 pm

When i told my Mum about his new computer (she thought Adrian would like my brother's work discount) I had to explain he was getting a PC Ferrari and that I had refused to let him get the Lamborghini (look at the top of Alienware range and you'll see what I mean).

It lurks. Honestly it has a presence even when turned off! And every light is tune-able or can be left to change colour, if I go looking for him after midnight the built in LEDs light up the room - but then he got all of the peripherals to match (it looks quite cool with the Alien logo lit up to match the keyboard keys, underlighting for the keyboard and the mouse all glowing purple next to the red/purple lava lamp in the 'dark').
Veni Vini Volupti

Sandra

Postby chrisboote » Wed Sep 26, 2018 08:08 pm

1. Do not, under any circumstances, buy anything from PC World, or any of the other shitshows owned by DSG

2. John Lewis are reasonably priced, and give you two, or sometimes three, years return-to-shop replacement warranty

3. Acer are good prices, reliable, reasonable specs

4. Novatech are one of the best for "tell us what you want and we'll build it" and very good prices

I would suggest Novatech if you know what you want exactly, otherwise get thee hence to the John Lewis website
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Thu Sep 27, 2018 01:33 pm

chrisboote wrote:1. Do not, under any circumstances, buy anything from PC World, or any of the other shitshows owned by DSG

2. John Lewis are reasonably priced, and give you two, or sometimes three, years return-to-shop replacement warranty

3. Acer are good prices, reliable, reasonable specs

4. Novatech are one of the best for "tell us what you want and we'll build it" and very good prices

I would suggest Novatech if you know what you want exactly, otherwise get thee hence to the John Lewis website

I would second number one they don't know they're arse from their elbow and are only interested in selling you extra's that you don't need or really want. :evil:
Whos Wee Dug

Postby Sandra » Thu Sep 27, 2018 02:28 pm

the extras you don't want come pre-installed. And many of the staff are not aware this stuff can be deleted if you don't want it.

Our elderly neighbour asked Adrian to help with his PC - Adrian's first reaction was 'you bought this at PC world?' and the first few hours was spent clearing their "monitoring" software.
Veni Vini Volupti

Sandra

Return to The Kitchen Table