Discworld

Embuggerance

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Embuggerance

Postby steeljam » Sun Mar 22, 2020 03:29 am

I am s*dding bored.
Nothing outstanding on the Stamp Catalogue.
I do have the new Watch jigsaw to do but this a long term project*
I am feeling very depressed, which is not a feeling I usually experience.
My age puts me in the high risk group and am expect to avoid contact.
I walk between 6 and 10 miles each day while listening to audiobooks. Today my phone, the source of the audiobooks, crashed and died!
Having retired I have filled up my life with new experiences.
Laying railway track for a narrow gauge railway, helping people with their IT problems, teaching 10 year-olds programming, and more.
All have been closed down.
Because of the virus our holiday to Berlin has been cancelled.
Even the daily shopping has become a trial. Normally at 7 am I have the supermarket to myself; now it is busier than a Saturday afternoon! Queues!
I am having a form of cabin fever.
Thankfully, I am not having to worry about my income.

So repainting the the kitchen, as order by the SO, is in my future.

* The jigsaw is set up in the spare room. After sifting through the pieces to extract the edges and split the others into similar colours I put the rest back in the box. Each time I walk past the room I must find a piece and fit it into the jigsaw. I pass the room about 10 to 12 times a day.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Re: Embuggerance

Postby Nonny Mouse » Sun Mar 22, 2020 03:59 am

I have cabin fever too. I was getting over a cold so I couldn't go exercise but it's so nice out. I miss just going out and doing stuff, not even interacting much.

My daughter wants to bake stuff from scratch but I want to wait until the supply of milk, eggs, and flour is steady again - I think it will be soon because there's only so much hoarding you can do of these things. We have enough but I don't want to use it up in what is effectively play. I have promised we will make crepes once the stores have stabilized :D

The hammock is awesome, need more books to read.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Sandra » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:23 pm

I feel sorry for those more active than us.

Recap - really needed surgery in Jan, nearly two months home based recovery, got the OK to Do things just in time for the lock down for those of us who have underlying health conditions.

So now being used to not being able to go out it's just more of the same. Though we do have the advantage of beginning Gloomhaven. Should take us a few months if we play about 3 hours a day...

My advice to those who share houses - every individual must spend time alone. It's even more important for the kids to not spend all their time together. Have something nice to look forward to, and take this time to learn something. Try that long, slow cooking recipe that you have always wanted to try (I'm going to start using the fruit I put in the freezer).

Keep well
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby chrisboote » Sun Mar 22, 2020 01:15 pm

Sandra wrote:Though we do have the advantage of beginning Gloomhaven. Should take us a few months if we play about 3 hours a day...

We are contemplating one of the Community Campaigns with just the two of us - our two regular campaigns are obviously suspended :/
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby dried_frog » Sun Mar 22, 2020 06:07 pm

Hi !

In France, confinement has been since Tuesday.

All people respect this confinement (but you can do the essential shopping, like food stores, pharmacies, walk your dog, etc ..., you must have a paper that can be checked by the police)

The television news shows irresponsible people in France who continue to barbecues in small groups in the street or in public parks, which is prohibited, or show people walking along the beach in groups as well. This is, of course, relayed by the media which pass the french people for irresponsible.
It is far from the truth.
Apart from a few idiots who want to play rebels (I'm not saying that walking on the beach is foolish, but in France, it's just forbidden), all people respect confinement.
We can walk outdoor, but staying in our neighborhood, and alone.

Supermarkets are well supplied in the countryside, apart from everything related to disinfection ... as long as this continues. People seem pretty reasonable at the moment for shopping.

I am confined, but I continue to work remotely. It's cool to work in IT!
My days are therefore very busy, maintaining servers that are used more than usual, and dedicated to students, parents, and National Education staff ...

I garden, I cook (fish, sauce: shallots + clementine juice + chives, at noon), I read books that I never have time to read.

I prepare ideas for pieces of pottery, because I hope to be able to participate in a raku course in June ... lots of sketches to make ... almost 10 kg of clay to be shaped (several pieces, certainly)
I wonder if I'm not going to try to do something related to the DW? ... but it will have to be white ... and with a cracked surface.

I have linocuts pending, and also other drawings to do for an annex project ...

I'm lucky to be in the country in a big house, I think of the people who live in apartments ... It doesn't have to be very funny ...

Keep calm and carry a towel... :thumbr:
"It's still magic even if you know how it's done."
dried_frog

Postby Catch-up » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:14 pm

Dried Frog - sadly we all have those irresponsible people and that's who the media highlights. And, I did not know what Raku pottery was, so it was really fun to look that up! Please share pictures of whatever you make!

Steve, I'm so sorry you're feeling depressed. This is an overwhelming situation. I'm having a lot of trouble getting motivated to do things myself. It's easier when they're outdoor things, a hike, work on the garden, ride. But indoor projects are a challenge. There's so much that needs to be done here too!
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Catch-up

Postby dried_frog » Wed Mar 25, 2020 09:53 am

Catch-up wrote:And, I did not know what Raku pottery was, so it was really fun to look that up! Please share pictures of whatever you make!

Hi !

Glad to know that the word "raku" is familiar to you now! Ceramics is a vast and wonderful world ...
If the course is not canceled, I will gladly post pictures of what I have done (if I am not too ashamed of my production). :lol:

PS: one of my little sisters lives in Michigan, too, towards Detroit! With her husband, they got the virus and recovered well! Everything is going well for them! :sunny:
dried_frog

Postby Catch-up » Wed Mar 25, 2020 07:34 pm

dried_frog wrote:
Catch-up wrote:And, I did not know what Raku pottery was, so it was really fun to look that up! Please share pictures of whatever you make!

Hi !

Glad to know that the word "raku" is familiar to you now! Ceramics is a vast and wonderful world ...
If the course is not canceled, I will gladly post pictures of what I have done (if I am not too ashamed of my production). :lol:

PS: one of my little sisters lives in Michigan, too, towards Detroit! With her husband, they got the virus and recovered well! Everything is going well for them! :sunny:

Hello! What are the chances that your sister would be nearby? :D We're about an hour west of Detroit. I'm so sorry they got it, but very thankful they've recovered.

If they have to cancel the course, hopefully they'll reschedule. Our library was going to do a mosaic class. I'm hoping they reschedule, I'd really like to try it.
Catch-up

Postby steeljam » Wed Mar 25, 2020 08:36 pm

Are you able to view UK Channel 4's Great Pottery Throwdown?
https://www.channel4.com/programmes/the ... throw-down
Episode 3 has a raku challenge.
steeljam
Monitor

Postby phazedout » Thu Mar 26, 2020 04:19 am

serious lockdown is just starting here in finland the very large uuissimma region is now locked down entireley no in or oout, for at least three weeks. The upshot of this is I cannot see essi until after easter (selfish i know but so be it). I've taken to going for long, solo walks in the evening, vaguely ingress themed. The sops seem fien and the times i go in are not at all busy. In gneral my part of finland seems ok. I'm doing the unseen library jigsaw but like steeljam, it's along term project, i'm reading, listening to audio books while i walk and watching tv. Since I work remotely anyway, there's not much change to that routien but most of my wkring day is psent setting other poeple to work remtoeley! Ah the irony.
Stay safe everyone.
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby Catch-up » Thu Mar 26, 2020 04:20 pm

I've been trying to catch up on my photo book projects. I can only work on one for so long before I need to take a break though.
Catch-up

Postby steeljam » Thu Mar 26, 2020 04:35 pm

Catch-up wrote:I've been trying to catch up on my photo book projects. I can only work on one for so long before I need to take a break though.

I finished the Watch jigsaw but then, bored, found another Image
flickr
steeljam
Monitor

Postby dried_frog » Thu Mar 26, 2020 05:15 pm

steeljam wrote:Are you able to view UK Channel 4's Great Pottery Throwdown?
https://www.channel4.com/programmes/the ... throw-down
Episode 3 has a raku challenge.

Sure ! I will see that ! Many Thanks, Steve ! :sunny:
dried_frog

Postby Sandra » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:05 pm

Adrian is getting interviewed (by phone) tomorrow for BBC radio Lincs (no we don't live that side of the border but apparently we're in their catchment).

He complained about how for those with chronic health problems this isn't week one, but week two. Last week we had problems finding food, this week he's not even allowed out so I get to go alone. He's being told by the government to buy online - except he wants to eat this side of Easter.

But we can't accept help easily - he's on controlled drugs - are random volunteers going to be allowed to deliver them? Who gets to sign for them? How would someone getting us food be able to cope with medical diets and allergies (I know how to substitute when what we need is missing)?

So despite my asthma (main symptom is coughing) I HAVE to go shopping.

There were about 1.5 million people in the same situation as Adrian - how many of these people are in the same situation?

(Big thanks to those who have volunteered)
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby steeljam » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:43 pm

Sandra wrote:Adrian is getting interviewed (by phone) tomorrow for BBC radio Lincs (no we don't live that side of the border but apparently we're in their catchment).
He complained about how for those with chronic health problems this isn't week one, but week two. Last week we had problems finding food, this week he's not even allowed out so I get to go alone. He's being told by the government to buy online - except he wants to eat this side of Easter.
But we can't accept help easily - he's on controlled drugs - are random volunteers going to be allowed to deliver them? Who gets to sign for them? How would someone getting us food be able to cope with medical diets and allergies (I know how to substitute when what we need is missing)?
So despite my asthma (main symptom is coughing) I HAVE to go shopping.
There were about 1.5 million people in the same situation as Adrian - how many of these people are in the same situation?
(Big thanks to those who have volunteered)
In our area the Neighbourhood Watch organisation is linking volunteer groups with vulnerable people and arranging deliveries of essentials.
The stupid thing is that I would be happy to volunteer but I also fall into the most vulnerable group, even though I feel fit and healthy,
steeljam
Monitor

Next

Return to The Kitchen Table