Discworld

Embuggerance

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: Embuggerance

Postby Sandra » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:22 am

Yeah those volunteers are wonderful ideas. We feel bad that our normal coping mechanisms are being spoiled by people panicking. The emails we get everyday from supermarket CEOs just shows how far from reality they are.

Of course we are now wondering how much of the food bought by the locusts will be in the bin rather than eaten - some will have over-bought and will have no chance to eat all of it.

I'd rather point volunteers towards the blind and other groups who CANNOT social distance, after all they need a guide to help in shops, Labradors are only good at shopping for dog food.
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Stew d'Apples » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:40 am

I'm working from home and have been for the last week. I'm lucky I guess that I'm comfortable in my own company and I'm quite happy at the moment. A couple of colleagues, who also live alone, are complaining about the loneliness and boredom so I'm getting calls from my manager checking up on me. I'm planning to work from home until my niece is born at the beginning of June so it might wear on me by then but currently I'm more concerned about how long my hair'll be by the time the barbers are open again. In fact I'm worried whether or my barbers will reopen or not. I've been going to the same one for the last twenty-two years. All the others in the area seem to be the hipster, retro, have a beer* whilst you wait sort.

My sister has been sent home until June 2021 and is having a slightly worse time of it. She has a very energetic and boisterous three year old who wants to go to nursery or visit his grandparents.

*terrible lager
GNU Terry Pratchett
Stew d'Apples

Postby Stew d'Apples » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:44 am

Sandra wrote:Yeah those volunteers are wonderful ideas. We feel bad that our normal coping mechanisms are being spoiled by people panicking. The emails we get everyday from supermarket CEOs just shows how far from reality they are.

Of course we are now wondering how much of the food bought by the locusts will be in the bin rather than eaten - some will have over-bought and will have no chance to eat all of it.

I'd rather point volunteers towards the blind and other groups who CANNOT social distance, after all they need a guide to help in shops, Labradors are only good at shopping for dog food.

I was in Asda a couple of weeks ago and missed out on the last tin of chickpeas [quelle horreur!] to a couple who had loaded their trolley with at least twenty tins of the wonderful things. The annoying thing was the couple complaining about buying them as neither they or their kids like them. :roll:
GNU Terry Pratchett
Stew d'Apples

Postby Sandra » Fri Mar 27, 2020 04:51 pm

I have been wondering how vegetarians/vegans are going to cope - many of those things that have disappeared were those that were vital parts of their diet (as opposed to omnivores who can depend on eggs, milk and meat for our nutrient balance).

I expect tropical foods will be the hardest to get due to air freight having almost completely stopped.
Veni Vini Volupti

Sandra

Postby phalarope » Sat Mar 28, 2020 03:16 pm

It doesn't fix behavior but it does impose consequences... our local grocer had a very generous returns policy, now rescinded, with prominent signs throughout the store they won't take back stuff that's been over-bought by hoarders. :twisted:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Catch-up » Sat Mar 28, 2020 05:51 pm

Good for them!
Catch-up

Postby chrisboote » Sat Mar 28, 2020 06:14 pm

phalarope wrote:It doesn't fix behavior but it does impose consequences... our local grocer had a very generous returns policy, now rescinded, with prominent signs throughout the store they won't take back stuff that's been over-bought by hoarders. :twisted:

OK, that sounds appropriate

But

Wouldn't it be better for it to come back (if in tins, packets, etc.) if inside it's use-by date, to be sold to people who couldn't get any first time around, rather than be dumped?
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby Sandra » Sat Mar 28, 2020 08:53 pm

Anything like that should be donated to food banks. After all they are the ones with the biggest loss in this situation (they normally accept unwanted foods from supermarkets they wouldn't accept from public donations eg bread).

I saw a story that in Europe a shop was selling one hand sanitiser for a reasonable amount - ten times that for the second (sorry can't remember where).
Veni Vini Volupti

Sandra

Postby phalarope » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:25 pm

chrisboote wrote:
phalarope wrote:It doesn't fix behavior but it does impose consequences... our local grocer had a very generous returns policy, now rescinded, with prominent signs throughout the store they won't take back stuff that's been over-bought by hoarders. :twisted:

OK, that sounds appropriate

But

Wouldn't it be better for it to come back (if in tins, packets, etc.) if inside it's use-by date, to be sold to people who couldn't get any first time around, rather than be dumped?

The store does tell people to donate unwanted stuff to food pantries, which is the right thing to do. The management doesn't want to get stuck buying back a load of food (particularly frozen stuff) in 6 months.

People like my MIL who has 4 packages of sandwich rolls (32 rolls, a month's worth) in her freezer, but who insisted on her personal shopper buying 2 more packages this week. Grrrrrr. This woman's freezer is like Fibber McGee's closet. Things fall out. We have given up trying to clean it out, because that just makes space for her to hoard new food. Her pantry is full of 15-year-old canned goods. Ick.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Mrs.Popty » Thu Apr 02, 2020 04:07 pm

Hubband and I were isolated for a couple of weeks. We weren't ill, but he'd gone to see his GP about summat or nowt on, typical, friday 13th. Said GP took his temperature and declared it to be high. So that was it. I went to town for the first time yesterday, since the 13th of last month. It was so quiet. Most shops are closed. Shopping in the supermarket was horrendous. So many of the staff strutting about with walkie talkies and quite enjoying themselves. I'm glad I have a regular online order delivered every week. And we've got stacks of eggs as we have four hens!

I'm slowly going nuts. Usually hubband works away, but he's here. Every day. :shock: And our daughter decided we needed access to her car (she's the only one of us who can drive) so she's here too. Usually it's just me, the two cats and the hens. If this embuggerance doesn't end soon I may start taking up the hobby of throwing axes in the house.
Last edited by Mrs.Popty on Sat Apr 04, 2020 09:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Magrat, make the tea!
Occupation: Nosy parker, gossiper, leaner on garden walls, witch.
Interests: salacious gossip.
Mrs.Popty

Postby Stibbons » Fri Apr 03, 2020 09:53 am

Hello all, long time no see, but what with the situation any social intercourse (yes Bernard, thank you for that message) is a welcome diversion.

The Lady and I are both well, fortunately we moved a month before all this kicked off, actually put ourselves on the property ladder with a two-bedroom flat. The old one bedroom place we were renting would have been intolerable by now. Fortunately this one also has a balcony with a bit of a view (and noisy neighbours but we're getting used to that) and the area has lots of nice open areas to walk around for our one daily government permitted exercise period with mandatory social distancing.

We are both working from home as well, she's got a work laptop and I have remote access to my work terminal, so we're busy enough during the day. The extra room has allowed us to create a office/spare bedroom/geeky room with lots of bookshelf space and the lounge has my bureau with another workspace, so we're not under each other's feet. Netflix was cheap as well and out new Virgin internet box is compatible (unlike the Smart TV) so we've got that to amuse ourselves. Otherwise there's reading, computer games (she's considering getting the new Animal Crossing game from Nintendo), tinkering around with boardgames and rpgs and catching up on DVDs. Currently having a Pythonthon.

Keep well all of you and see you when I see you.
We'll keep the turtle moving.
Stibbons

Postby Stibbons » Mon Apr 06, 2020 03:20 pm

Oh, and I've finally figured out who's responsible for the Covid-19 pandemic. It's not the Chinese, it's not the Greys, it's not even the Illuminati, forget about them.

It's Nintendo.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-52135528

The whole thing is to force us into buying Animal Crossing - New Horizons on the Switch.

Worked too, we just bought it.
We'll keep the turtle moving.
Stibbons

Postby chrisboote » Mon Apr 06, 2020 07:11 pm

Stibbons wrote:Oh, and I've finally figured out who's responsible for the Covid-19 pandemic. It's not the Chinese, it's not the Greys, it's not even the Illuminati, forget about them.

It's Nintendo.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-52135528

The whole thing is to force us into buying Animal Crossing - New Horizons on the Switch.

Worked too, we just bought it.

Noooo, it's the pets of the world
They did it to make sure we are at home more giving hem more cuddles
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby Sandra » Mon Apr 06, 2020 08:39 pm

I thought it was Apple trying a hostile take-over of Disney

(and now I can't find the news link)
Veni Vini Volupti

Sandra

Postby Nonny Mouse » Tue Apr 14, 2020 09:42 pm

Been a bit down since Easter, because my Mom finally moved back to AZ but now I can't see her :cry:
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table