Discworld

Embuggerance

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: Embuggerance

Postby Catch-up » Thu Apr 16, 2020 02:14 pm

Sorry Nonny. That's got to be really difficult. :(
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Catch-up

Postby Nonny Mouse » Fri Apr 17, 2020 05:05 am

Thanks. I'm trying to be a good sport about everything but that one brought me down. I'm feeling better now (I generally do, I have always said I bounce good).
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby dried_frog » Fri Jul 03, 2020 07:13 am

dried_frog wrote:
Catch-up wrote:And, I did not know what Raku pottery was, so it was really fun to look that up! Please share pictures of whatever you make!

Hi !

Glad to know that the word "raku" is familiar to you now! Ceramics is a vast and wonderful world ...
If the course is not canceled, I will gladly post pictures of what I have done (if I am not too ashamed of my production). :lol:

I'm not too ashamed of the result ... :wink: I made some mistakes, but for a first raku try I'm happy ... here are some pieces

IMG_2974.JPG
IMG_2986.JPG
IMG_2987.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It's still magic even if you know how it's done."
dried_frog

Postby Sandra » Fri Jul 03, 2020 09:41 am

wow very impressive...

Didn't look like you had a bad failure rate too!
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby dried_frog » Sat Jul 04, 2020 09:34 am

Thanks Sandra! :D

I wrongly described the first photo:

The pieces are heated in kiln, then we take them out with a long pliers (we are protected with fire-resistant clothing and a special mask) and we place them, incandescent, in a metal container, on a layer of sawdust or wood chips.

The thermal shock causes the enamel to crack. The wood ignites very quickly and gives off a lot of smoke. We finish covering the pieces with wood shavings and put a cover over them. We wait a while and during this time the smoke deposits carbon in the crackles (which creates these black lines).

Then we take them out of the metal container into the open air. They are still very hot and we keep hearing little 'ting!' because the crackles continue (this is the first photo) ...
Then, when it's cool, we remove the carbon deposit which has metallic reflections ....

It's very nice to do! :thumbr:
dried_frog

Postby Sandra » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:06 pm

I saw it on the great pottery throwdown - it looked a very worrying thing to do to something you have spent hours creating. They had some interesting failures due to the thermal shock (I think they were also trying interesting things like seaweed (the iodine content was wanted for different colours)). I'd be very concerned by the sounds (it's bad enough having the occasional ting from the dishwasher as it cools).

It looks like the worry is worth it though.
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby steeljam » Sat Jul 04, 2020 06:58 pm

The Raku pottery looks great.
I had a dramatic failure in the kiln today.
I was making a tree image but at sometime during the firing there was a catastrophic reaction which resulted in the backing pane splitting leaving a 1 inch gap between the two halves.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby dried_frog » Sun Jul 05, 2020 09:04 am

Oohh ... it must be a little frustrating ... :(

I don't practice it, but I really like glassware ... the transparency of stained glass and glass pieces has always amazed me.

Perhaps there was a line of weakness that caused this withdrawal?
I have the impression that the fault started at the top ... and that the viscosity at high temperature of the transparent bottom is very different from that of the elements of the tree (especially for the glass of the trunk and the leaves that have remained mostly in relief). The interesting thing is that the base under the tree has stretched.

But the colors are really beautiful, I really like the foliage ... and especially the fact that the separation into two parts makes the leaves seem to be suspended in the air ...

We, who try to make crafts where the passage in the kiln remains a decisive and random element of the manufacturing process, all know that the misfires are an integral part of our learning and sometimes, even if we are disappointed by the result , these failures sometimes reveal interesting effects (except when the results are similar to the experimentations of the Alchimists' Guild .. boom! :lol: ).

It's never a waste of time ... but I always make test shards when I experience new things. This limits my disappointments a little, but it is easier to do for ceramics. :)

But it's still interesting.
It took me a long time to understand, for example, how to prevent certain black clay from causing unsightly bubbles under the transparent cover glazing :evil: . And why some pieces burst in the kiln and others did not :shock: (even if all my pieces were very dry). There are so many parameters ... it starts with the choice of raw materials.

I always keep a part of my failed tests, it constitutes a "library" of "not to do" things and interesting effects! :book:

I really like these beautiful green leaves hanging in the void ...
dried_frog

Previous

Return to The Kitchen Table