Discworld

2nd Question, Luggage

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

2nd Question, Luggage

Postby The_Professor_UK » Thu Jun 11, 2020 06:57 am

So, I want to make a Luggage :shock:

Why?
My Son is a massive Comic fan and I take him to Comic Cons when I can. I have always felt a little left out for not being dressed up. After all, I am 50 (ish) and would feel stupid walking around dressed as Han Solo or similar and clutching a toy blaster :lol:

So how to go to a Comic Con while dressed appropriately and make it obvious who I am going as...... Well, it is not hard to acquire a costume to convert into a Rincewind costume. But how would people know it was Rincewind? Well, this is where the Luggage comes in.

I have managed to work out most of the details on how to build one, but would be interested if there is anyone local to Bradford who may be interested in helping out?

I need to work out what to do with the feet, I have a 3d model of a foot on my computer, and also I have a 3d printer, so I can make enough feet to put round the outer edges of the luggage to shield the real cheat.... Tank Tracks. The feet will oscillate and so look quite good. Unfortunately the 'Flesh Coloured' plastic I have bought for my printer is not what I expected, if flesh was ever that colour then the owner of that flesh would have some very severe problems.... But that can be solved with a bit of paint.

The motion of the Luggage will be controlled by an Arduino, and I think I have the basics of the programme worked out, so it would Just follow me around as it should. Maybe a bit of lid snapping could also be arranged. My big problem is the box itself, many years ago, I had come to the same deal with wood as Victor Tugelbend - I will not touch wood, and it will not split.

IS this something someone would be interested in helping me with?
They called me Mad, you know!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
The_Professor_UK

Re: 2nd Question, Luggage

Postby Sandra » Thu Jun 11, 2020 08:37 am

Usually the hardest bit of making the luggage is getting it to snap. even if you can't/don't want it to snap having an articulating lid does allow you to have the luggage change. Eg fully closed - 'just a chest' or having it being aggressive - teeth and/or tongue visible.

I've seen a few luggages - one memorable one had dolls legs (the kind that can be bought for home-made dolls) attached around the edge and yes they giggled and looked very effective.

As for simple adult costumes - Rincewind does need the hat (it's the extra 'z' that must not be missed) - far easier wold be Two Flower.

(Though I personally can't see anything wrong with wandering around with a light-saber - or a dark-saber for that matter)
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby The_Professor_UK » Thu Jun 11, 2020 09:38 am

I have a couple of ideas for the lid...

A solenoid would allow the teeth to be present or not present.... The tongue would have to be visible whenever the lid is open (for now)

As it will use CO2 to slam the lid shut, I am including a proximity detector to ensure that no one actually does get eaten!!!!

I need to print the feet, as I have designed the system to have the feet moving by an arrangement of cams and drive belts.... so I cannot use 'pre-made' feet.... It is a shame that the plastic is such a distressing colour! :lol:

Twoflower is a possibility as a costume as I do have the extra set of eyes.... But I think Rincewind fits my character better!
The_Professor_UK

Postby steeljam » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:00 am

The_Professor_UK wrote:Twoflower is a possibility as a costume as I do have the extra set of eyes.... But I think Rincewind fits my character better!

Twoflower only has one set of eyes. Josh misunderstood the description.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby The_Professor_UK » Thu Jun 11, 2020 08:13 pm

Twoflower wore glasses, a look that caused many who met him to believe that he had four eyes. He also wore dentures, a concept which inspired Cohen the Barbarian to have a set made for himself out of troll's teeth. Twoflower was an optimistic-but-naïve tourist.

I thought I was right.... so I had a quick check!

I do not have denchewers :D

but I do have an extra set of ears... I guess they never bred imps small enough to sit in someone's ear and shout what other people were saying :lol:
The_Professor_UK

Postby phalarope » Thu Jun 11, 2020 08:35 pm

IIRC there was a full sized working Luggage at Worldcon in Spokane, Washington in 2015. I will make enquiries....

As far as cosplay as an adult...

My very first con of any kind was the first North American Discworld Convention in 2009, when I was a bit south of 50. I always thought Trekkies were kind of weird, and I never saw myself letting my guard down by 'dressing up' for anything, including Halloween. I only went to the con because I thought it was my only chance to EVER meet Terry. Met a load of wonderful new friends, some in quite marvelous costumery, many not. Nobody was judgemental. Everybody had fun. I took social risks. :lol: :lol:

I was tempted, but have zero skill at sewing/crafting. Went to my local RennFest the following summer, and sprang for a generic corset, shift, skirt ensemble. Not really a character, just dress-up. Wore it at the next NADWCon. The first time I had worn a dress since my wedding. :shock: My next attempt was Lady Roberta Meserole (how hard can all purple be?, very) I now cosplay as Miss Maccalariat, using stuff I bought on Amazon and Discworld.com.

Maybe it's a function of age, maybe a different social milieu than family/RW friends/work, but I really don't give a wahoonie anymore what anyone thinks. I went to a colleague's retirement party in corset and skirt, and enjoyed frightening the folks that had always thought I was a rather bland, stiff, boring person. :P

I think if you have the hat with appropriately spelled WIZZARD on, you will be recognizable, and the Luggage will be a triumph if you can carry it off. Since you have a 3-D printer, why not print the box as well? With suitable wood grain pattern.

Have fun! :thumbl:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby The_Professor_UK » Fri Jun 12, 2020 06:15 pm

The box is becoming a work of art.....

Or should I say the luggage....

I have arranged for the wood, as you can see from the drawing, it is going to be 1mtr wide, so a bit big to print...

the slots are for where the tank track will lay... I have to get some brackets and wheels machined up, that will take a few weeks until my workshop is set up (I am in the middle of moving units at the moment, but will have a mill and lathe again soon....

At the minute is
it is a basic CAD image, just so I could work out the lengths of tongue and groove I need....

Once I have the drives installed, and the guidance and also safety sensors installed, I can start making the brass fitting for it and then making it cosmetically into the luggage....

it will take a while to complete... but once it is done, I will post some videos.

The plan is for it to appear to be sentient and just follow me around and snap at people who get too close... safely :lol:
The_Professor_UK

Postby Squigglyx » Fri Jun 12, 2020 08:12 pm

My first meetup was a Wadfest meeting (camping) and like most people for the first time, I went along to see what was happening, so no dressing up.
Had a fantastic time and met loads of brilliant people. most of them members on here. From that I went to a Wincanton Hogswatch do and pulled myself together a Rincewind costume. Ex wife was handy with a sewing machine, so she made the gown and stuff. I bought a plastic / rubber hallowe'en witches hat, covered that in the same wizzardy fabric as my gown and added foam letters to spell WIZZARD. Made myself a staff (with a knob on the end of course) and then armed with a potato and stuffed kangaroo and a pair of slip on shoes that I could easily kick off and I was ready.

Since then I've done Blind IO, Count De Magpyre, Baron Saturday, Twoflower...
Like Phalorpe said, meetings with this mob are a fantastic way to get rid of any shyness, reluctance to join in.
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Squigglyx

Return to The Kitchen Table