Discworld

Help editing video

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Help editing video

Postby Pat » Sat Apr 10, 2021 02:15 pm

I've been asked to make a video for an event. It's just me, reading a short story to camera. I doubt I'll get it right in a single take so I'll want to patch together probably 5 or 6 video files and, at one point, overlay (or replace) the video image with pictures of some book covers while the sound continues in the back ground.

In the Elder Times, before I retired, I'd have used the University's licence for Adobe Premiere but I no longer have access. Can anyone recommend something simple to use and free which runs on Windows? Or be willing to do the edit in exchange for a beer at some future unspecified point where people are allowed to be in direct line of sight of each other?

TIA!
This is my sort of recipe book. "Wrap the pastry in a damp cloth and chill for 20 minutes." Don't mind if I do.
Pat
Monitor

Re: Help editing video

Postby phazedout » Sat Apr 10, 2021 02:44 pm

hi pat,

this aricle looks useful, should give you a few you can try, or i can do it for you.

https://www.iskysoft.com/video-editing/ ... oiner.html
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby steeljam » Sat Apr 10, 2021 05:56 pm

Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Molokov » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:26 pm

I will recommend ShotCut https://www.shotcut.org/ as a video editor, which is free and open source and runs on many platforms.

However, because of the free/open source thing, it's probably not as easy to learn to use as commercial products (free or otherwise), and may not have as rich a feature set, but the learning curve isn't all *that* steep if you want to do something simple (such as just cutting and pasting segments of your video).
Nullus Anxietas 7a - The Australian Discworld Convention
April 8-10 2022, Sydney, Australia.
https://ausdwcon.org
Molokov

Postby salmonmancer » Thu Sep 30, 2021 05:13 am

Pat wrote:I've been asked to make a video for an event. It's just me, reading a short story to camera. I doubt I'll get it right in a single take so I'll want to patch together probably 5 or 6 video files and, at one point, overlay (or replace) the video image with pictures of some book covers while the sound continues in the back ground.

In the Elder Times, before I retired, I'd have used the University's licence for Adobe Premiere but I no longer have access. Can anyone recommend something simple to use and free which runs on Windows? Or be willing to do the edit in exchange for a beer at some future unspecified point where people are allowed to be in direct line of sight of each other?

TIA!

Pat, what did you got in the end? And how's your project going?
I had a look at the list phazedout provided, as far as I know, Filmora is not free and other software mentioned in the article looks like a pre-historical nightmare (no offense though!). ShotCut, though, might be an option as well as OpenCut. And here are some other programs you might try (on a free or trial basis). The best thing is that you don't have to pay for the test period plus they won't leave a watermark on a final result. For sure, you'll find a proper tool here.
We - me and missus - too have used Adobe Premiere in the past, you can even pay for a month now then cancel a subscription but I believe it might be overkill for the task you've described. But for me, it has too many bells and whistles, and I'm not using most of its functions, so I just leaped in for a one-time license of Movavi and it's more than enough for me (not harder to learn than good old Windows MovieMaker, I believe, comparing to other programs I've tried).
Guess, beer is not an option at all since I'm overseas, but hope this helps.
sincerely yours, Joseph
salmonmancer

Postby salmonmancer » Thu Sep 30, 2021 05:16 am

Oh shoot.
And here comes the part where I'm really embarrassed. For an unknown reason, my brain just decided this thread was started in August.
Just noticed my mistake.

Still, Pat, it would be nice to know how did it go.
sincerely yours, Joseph
salmonmancer

Return to The Kitchen Table