Discworld

Here be Dragons

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Here be Dragons

Postby chrisboote » Tue Aug 17, 2021 07:45 am

The (beautiful) Dunmanifestin edition of Guards Guards, with assorted ephemera is now available
https://www.discworldemporium.com/books ... in-edition
It's annoyingly priced between the 'Nope, too much' and 'Yep, that's a must buy for that money' at £195
But there are only 1,000
If I dither long enough the problem will go away ...
:lol:
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Re: Here be Dragons

Postby Stew d'Apples » Wed Aug 18, 2021 05:56 am

To be fair, the £195 looks far better value than the the £26 I paid for the Illustrated Guards! Guards! last year. The first time I felt truly exploited as a Pterry fan.
GNU Terry Pratchett
Stew d'Apples

Postby Kelshandra » Thu Aug 26, 2021 08:42 pm

Stew d'Apples wrote:To be fair, the £195 looks far better value than the the £26 I paid for the Illustrated Guards! Guards! last year. The first time I felt truly exploited as a Pterry fan.

Oh my, really? I was actually just looking at replacing my copy (lent it to someone, haven't got it back and was a second hand paperback from my very poor student days so would rather replace) and had thought of what to replace it with. I was thinking even going down some flavour of hardcover and thought that one was not TOO dear.

If that's not good, anyone have any recomendations? I am NOT going to spend £195, but if I'm going hardcover what's the best bang for my buck? Do the collector editions have anything special about them other than a different illustration?
Currently semi-irregularly working on the 2010 and 2020 Yearbooks- 2019 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby Stew d'Apples » Sun Aug 29, 2021 09:19 pm

When I bought it I was hoping it'd be like the Last Hero or the illustrated Wee Free Men but it was just a standard sized hardback, no dust cover, with a handful of pictures.
GNU Terry Pratchett
Stew d'Apples

Postby Kelshandra » Tue Aug 31, 2021 08:12 pm

Stew d'Apples wrote:When I bought it I was hoping it'd be like the Last Hero or the illustrated Wee Free Men but it was just a standard sized hardback, no dust cover, with a handful of pictures.

Fair enough, I totally understand. The book is double the price (at least with my searching) to the collectors edition, it should have more than than. As for the limited edition slip case being another $100 again... :shock: I am definitely not the sort for fancy edition books. Great if you do, but for me it's in the realm of fancy posh watches, cars or cats. Good for you if you enjoy them and can afford them but I get just as much pleasure with my common as muck stuff so buying more expensive would be pointless.
Currently semi-irregularly working on the 2010 and 2020 Yearbooks- 2019 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby steeljam » Tue Aug 31, 2021 09:03 pm

Kelshandra wrote:
Stew d'Apples wrote:When I bought it I was hoping it'd be like the Last Hero or the illustrated Wee Free Men but it was just a standard sized hardback, no dust cover, with a handful of pictures.

Fair enough, I totally understand. The book is double the price (at least with my searching) to the collectors edition, it should have more than than. As for the limited edition slip case being another $100 again... :shock: I am definitely not the sort for fancy edition books. Great if you do, but for me it's in the realm of fancy posh watches, cars or cats. Good for you if you enjoy them and can afford them but I get just as much pleasure with my common as muck stuff so buying more expensive would be pointless.

I used to collect the GB commemorative stamps. They were beautiful works of art and affordable.
Then Royal Mail woke up to the financial potential and started issuing crap.
There was a rule that only living royals could appear on the stamps, otherwise, the person had to be dead.
But they broke the rule with sports teams; cricket, rugby, and football all became fair game. I think Tony Blair was hoping to appear on a stamp but the design was rejected.
Now commemorative stamps are coming out every month.
The same is happening with books.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Return to The Kitchen Table