Discworld

Beauty in the eye of the Geek.

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Beauty in the eye of the Geek.

Postby alohura » Sun Jul 29, 2007 07:41 pm

The video on the site is fantastic.

http://www.campaignforrealbeauty.co.uk/

It really shows how unnatural, that the images of beautiful women that we look at every day, are.
"You little (such a one who, while wearing a copper nose ring, stands in a footbath atop Mount Raruaruaha during a heavy thunderstorm and shouts that Alohura, Goddess of Lightning, has the facial features of a diseased uloruaha root.')"
alohura

Location: Small town in Northamptonshire that nobody has ever heard of.

Postby Squigglyx » Sun Jul 29, 2007 07:54 pm

I know this probably sounds corny.... but..

I have always preferred natural looking girls/women to those who are heavily made up and have never really 'fancied' any glamorous superstar images. (With the exception of Debbie Harry, when I was a lot younger :oops: )
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Squigglyx

Postby dwmoook » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:17 pm

I've always shied away from heavily made up girls. I guess it comes from my fear of clowns. I think that when too much make up is plastered on you can't see the real person.

I prefer to see the real person behind the make up. Lisa rarely wares make up and it always shocks me when she does decide to glam up. Even when she does its usually only a bit of eye shadow and lipstick.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor - Discworld Monthly
dwmoook

Postby Addicted » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:58 pm

I've always prefered the natural look for girls and it's totally put me off when I've met a girl in a club wearing layer upon layer of foundation.
The scary thing is, most girls now think that even if they have perfect skin, they need to wear a ton of make-up before going out but then they'll shoot themselves in the foot as wearing tons of make-up will have an adverse affect on their skin, plus at the end of the night the make-up will probably have worn off anyways!

Plus, if they use the wrong skin tone then sometimes girls look like they've been tangoed.... :D
Addicted

Postby demdike » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:58 pm

Where can I get me one of those airbrushes :lol:

Nah half a tub of polyfilla's always been good enough for me. 8)
Death before Dishonour. Nothing before Coffee.
demdike

Postby illusion » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:06 am

said girl looked pretty enough to start with

as a gay bloke i have pretty bad self image anyway half the time i think i am fat which is really silly but goes to show how much media influences stuff
illusion

Postby Catch-up » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:50 am

Wow. What was really scary was the photoshopping at the end. :shock: :(
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Catch-up

Postby Alt.unohoo » Mon Jul 30, 2007 08:25 am

interesting video and interesting coments from everyone.
Alt.unohoo

Postby demdike » Mon Jul 30, 2007 08:34 am

Trouble is with young girls it's all a matter of self perception, my daughter is a size 8 and 5'6 but she's convinced she's fat. She's always saying if she fixed this or that part of her everything in her life would turn around.

The Media is to blame for a lot of self-perception problems, on the front page of a magazine one actress was being mauled for putting weight on and another for being too skinny :shock:

I find I lose 2" off my waist just by standing up straight instead of slouching like I normally do.

Hard to convince someone that what's inside sticks around longer than looking good on the outside these days, when all the hype is about if you look good all manner of marvellous things will come your way.
Death before Dishonour. Nothing before Coffee.
demdike

Postby rentawitch » Mon Jul 30, 2007 08:47 am

Make-up is fair enough.
but the photoshopping is just criminal.

Having said that, I am honest enough to admit that if someone said we will make a 'perfect' picture of you, I would like to see how they could 'improve' me?

I once did a quiz and it asked if you would just for one perfect night prefer to be absolutely drop dead gorgeous or have a wonderful personality.

So one put 'personality' cos that was the 'right' answer and the quiz result basically said, 'bloody liar' 'stop kidding yourself'

just one night, mind, not forever.
I would not swap a functioning brain for looks.
As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness.

Saufen fur Frieden auf Erden

I love my computer, all my friends live in it. :)
rentawitch

Postby Fi » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:20 am

I won a competition once and the prize was a photoshoot and an album of the pics.

I look very natural in the pics but the amount of crap that was plastered on to achieve it was unbelievable, thats why I wasn't suprised by the video.

I find it quite sad when you see these pretty young girls walking around with foundation slapped over their lovely smooth skin. They probably feel they need it and yes its all about self perception.

I'm 5ft 6in and in my teens weighed 8 and a half stone, I was a small size 10 but I can remember thinking I was fat, I also had hang-ups about my nose, wanted bigger boobs and a smaller bum. Looking back at pics of me in those days I was a pretty little thing, tis a shame I never realised it. :roll:
Fi

Postby Tony&elaine » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:14 am

I went to a play, a few years ago, organised by Sandi Toskvik. During the show, she asked all the women to put their hands up, if they were completely happy with themselves. I was near the front and, being a happy bunny, put my hand up. I was horrified, when I turned round and saw no other women had their hand up ( from hundreds ). Sandi asked me why I'd put my hand up? But I wanted to know why no-one else did?
I was saddened that so many women were unhappy with themselves.
I think change what you can be bothered to change and accept what you can't. Love yourself for your good points and be who you are, not what a magazine expects you to be.
Happy bunnies unite.
Elaine of Tonyandelaine
Runs away skipping and giggling
www.houseoffreyja.co.uk
Tony&elaine

Postby Bickaxe » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:14 am

illusion wrote:as a gay bloke i have pretty bad self image anyway half the time i think i am fat which is really silly but goes to show how much media influences stuff

FAT??? You Chris??? Not sure how you'd manage that one, but if you are, I seriously need to go on a diet :lol:

Natural look has always worked for me, nothing worse than finding half a girls face on your pillow in the morning. Or her pillow :wink:
Daggers!!
Ginger people don't actually taste of ginger :shock:
I tripped on an escalator once and fell downstairs for an hour and a half
UU Shirt no.7
Bickaxe

Postby Basement » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:27 am

Tony&elaine wrote:I went to a play, a few years ago, organised by Sandi Toskvik. During the show, she asked all the women to put their hands up, if they were completely happy with themselves. I was near the front and, being a happy bunny, put my hand up. I was horrified, when I turned round and saw no other women had their hand up ( from hundreds ). Sandi asked me why I'd put my hand up? But I wanted to know why no-one else did?
I was saddened that so many women were unhappy with themselves.
I think change what you can be bothered to change and accept what you can't. Love yourself for your good points and be who you are, not what a magazine expects you to be.
Happy bunnies unite.
Elaine of Tonyandelaine

You're a lucky woman to be happy with yourself Elaine. I wish I was. I think it's a self confidence thing. I don't think that I have an attractive face or body, and wish that I was thinner and prettier, and find it very difficult, if not impossible to believe anyone when they tell me otherwise (how ironic, I want to be told that someone thinks I'm beautiful but would never believe them if they said it). I don't do lots of make up, or lots of styling with my hair, but that's mainly because I don't have the skill to do it. If I "glam up" it's normally a pale eyeshadow, some mascara and a complimentary lipstick. I dislike foundation because it makes me feel like my face is covered in muck, but use powder cos that doesn't set.

Another irony is that I want people to notice me, but at the same time don't want everyone staring at me. But it is nice to be remembered for something, especially if I'm doing the same thing as someone else, but sometimes I feel that it's only the other person who gets remembered for doing that and it's as if I wasn't there at all, or not worth remembering.
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby Tony&elaine » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:37 am

Good grief, Jax, I saw you in the Ptraci outfit. If you were any thinner you would snap!
There is always someone thinner, pretter, taller, younger.Have you actually looked at so called "super models" faces. Half of them look like horses.
As I said, look at your good points, not the bad.
Smile at yourself,( especially in public, it worries people.)
And most important....
learn to accept complements.
Runs away skipping and giggling
www.houseoffreyja.co.uk
Tony&elaine

Next

Return to The Kitchen Table