Discworld

Beauty in the eye of the Geek.

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Postby Doc Brown » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:31 am

Addicted wrote:Oooo.. can I borrow that line of people to punch my ex?? :twisted:

I realised you were having major problems Dave, but I didn't realise you'd actually divorced, HUGs for you and Kaci.
Doc Brown

Postby Addicted » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:33 am

We were never married Martyn (thank Nuggan!! :shock: ) but we split just before Christmas.

Trust me - it's a good thing though and much better for Kaci and me :D
Addicted

Postby Empress » Thu Aug 16, 2007 02:11 pm

My favorite button: It's better to have loved & lost than to live with the psycho for the rest of your life.
The Witch is blogging.
Empress

Location: Pandemonium, People's Republic of Cambridge, MA, Disjointed States of Unawarica

Postby Dragonlady » Thu Aug 16, 2007 02:30 pm

I have that on a fridge magnet.

:wink:
If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

http://www.inspiredtowalk.co.uk/ Kilimanjaro 2013 or bust!
Dragonlady

Postby KinnieKat » Thu Aug 16, 2007 07:09 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PduJAw5oxIg

Here is another video on what Photoshop can do. I knew it could change a picture a lot, but never realised quite how much. I have to say that I think there should be laws on how far manipulation of images in adverts can go.
I am beautiful. I am wonderful. And anyone who does not see this is a danger to society and needs to be shot!

www.myspace.com/kinnie_kat
KinnieKat

Postby I.B.Igor » Thu Aug 16, 2007 07:11 pm

Empress wrote:My favorite button: It's better to have loved & lost than to live with the psycho for the rest of your life.

Hmm, I want that added to my Decree Nisi!. :lol:
Kidney Stones are a thing of the past!, blast them out of your urinary tract with our help!, sponsored by Yorkshire Tea ," we brew it tough ooop North "
I.B.Igor

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Aug 16, 2007 07:23 pm

KinnieKat wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PduJAw5oxIg

Here is another video on what Photoshop can do. I knew it could change a picture a lot, but never realised quite how much. I have to say that I think there should be laws on how far manipulation of images in adverts can go.

I can see that maybe this video is making a point - but that's just freaky. :shock:
Proceed, varlet, and let the day be rendered perfect for my benefit!
Tonyblack

Postby alohura » Thu Aug 16, 2007 07:47 pm

That is really scary.
"You little (such a one who, while wearing a copper nose ring, stands in a footbath atop Mount Raruaruaha during a heavy thunderstorm and shouts that Alohura, Goddess of Lightning, has the facial features of a diseased uloruaha root.')"
alohura

Location: Small town in Northamptonshire that nobody has ever heard of.

Postby Sandra » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:03 pm

In the general line of thanks to you lot for admitting some have felt the depression of thinking they are ugly just because they don't match the stereotype of beauty - it helps me admitt the stereotype is so wrong...(I've met some of you and am happy to say I havn't met an ugly person yet)

In the last few weeks I saw a piture that sums this up quite nicely - it was a picture of a model (stick insect/walking skeleton type) next to the Venus de Milo. I will admitt that Venus did look alittle plump in relation to the model (through the distortion of modern life) but then realised that the Venus had been a simbol of perfect beauty for a lot longer than she had been 'fat'.

I dislike the fact that I am told to 'loose weight' without being told 'how' in relation to my health issues (all movement hurts so exercise is out and I'm a comfort eater with depression... :roll: ) Even more I hate the fact that I am borderline hyperobese which appears to be a red rag to a bull when at the GP's

I keep telling myself that this does not matter but every comment cuts ever deeper.
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Tony&elaine » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:09 am

My mam always said she wasn't over weight, she was under height.
Also, have you seen any Marilyn Monroe films recently. She was considered incredibly sexy and beautiful. She was certainly not skinny.
Hopefully, atitudes will swing back to a point where "normal" sized women are considered to be the right size. ( The avarage size for women in the U.K is a 16)
Runs away skipping and giggling
www.houseoffreyja.co.uk
Tony&elaine

Postby Rincewind the Wizzard » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:08 pm

Most of my friends use photoshop on their pics. that's what you get for being in the scene apparently, fake beauty

I really don't think typical beauty's that important, at least it isn't to me anymore
I've been out with some 'beautiful' girls, a lot of them certainly haven't been beautiful on the inside and the amount of times I've been f**ked around has taught me a valuable life lesson.
Rincewind the Wizzard

Postby bogieman » Mon Aug 20, 2007 09:47 pm

I use simmiler to photoshop but not to alter the person I will remove unwanted people and chairs rubbish and the likes but do not beleave in touching the modle. Unless its for fun of course :twisted:

The advert is unforgivable and depending what the purpus of the other one was depends on whether it is good or bad. I presume doctors use this sort of tecknowledgy to show people what liposuction will or can do so it could be a fairly good thing. but if it was to make a larger girl feel bad with her weight then it is almost criminal.

There is a place for everything it is how we use it that defines whether it is a good or bad thing.
From the mind of Bill the Bogieman

If you think it can't get any worse, you merely lack sufficient imagination.
bogieman

Postby Pat » Tue Aug 21, 2007 08:18 am

Technology has reached a point where we can combine the realism of the photograph with the flexibility of the painting. The problem arises because we're at the start of the curve - we've all grown up with "the camera doesn't lie" in our subconscious. I hope the next generation won't have that barrier to seeing faked pictures for what they are.

And it isn't really a new problem - remember Henry VIII and Anne of Cleves? (Not personally, obviously) And more recetly (though possibly apocryphally) Lumiere's L'Arrive d'un Train. The url has apostropes in it so the url tag doesn't work, but your can read about it at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'Arriv%C3 ... _la_Ciotat
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Previous

Return to The Kitchen Table