Discworld

Beauty in the eye of the Geek.

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Postby Megawoman » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:23 am

AJ's mum wrote:on the whole i'm happy being me and AJ will tell you i am horrible when i'm dieting :oops: but i do need to loose weight for my health, however i object to the fact that whatever is wrong with me my doctor says i would be healthier if i lost weight :shock: Is this a cure all!

I had a doctor like that. If I had a sore throat it was due to my weight, a verruca, it was due to my weight, flu etc....
I changed doctors and this one is great, but then he's overweight and a heavy smoker to boot.

I was 8 stone when I married in 1970 and now I'm double that. I guess I have 'appreciated' with age.

I eat when I'm hungry and have a balanced diet with a few treats and this is the size I come out. God made me this way and I won't argue with God!
Wadfest visit www.wadfest.co.uk
Also visit www.morningstarr.co.uk for fantastic news and views!
Megawoman

Postby Throat » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:04 am

Alt.unohoo wrote:i have finally come to accept my red hair and teh fact that I tend to stand out in a crowd. I now try to revel in it, admittedly I do also sometimes use it as a shield.
Redhead girls rock! That's my opinion and, as you know, my opinion is always right. I'm married to one so I should know. I always spot readheads in a crowd and they always seem to be the scrummiest ones. So be proud, there's guys out there wouldn't look at anything else.

Nia wrote:I think it's really sad that people end up feeling ugly because of some media portayed version of beauty
That's what started this thread of course. Never forget that these people are trying to set an objective which nobody can ever achieve. They are trying to make you feel bad quite deliberately because they are trying to sell their products to you. If you met their "standard" they'd not sell anything else so they have to keep moving the target. Never, ever, believe anything pushed at you this way be it lies about looks and cosmetics or marketing/advertising for any other product, service or store. The rubbish pushed at us should make us laugh not feel bad about ourselves. If you let it do the latter it means the bastards are having the effect they want and you mustn't let them.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
Throat

Postby Tony&elaine » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:13 am

As has been said, people insult others because, if they can make you feel bad, then they feel better. They don't have to do anything about they own short comings.
My ex husband critisised everything I did, nothing was good enough. When I was happy and he wasn't, he would deliberatly make me unhappy, because "he believed in balancing things out"
He constantly told me I was always ill until I started to believe him.
A complement from him, was "you look a bit better"
Luckily, I am strong minded and have very good friends so he didn't affect me too much, but I did act differently when I was with him. I wasn't myself.
So the next time someone insults you, don't accept it. Think "what is your child-hood trauma" and just feel sorry for them. It's their problem, not yours.
Elaine
Runs away skipping and giggling
www.houseoffreyja.co.uk
Tony&elaine

Postby CaptainPixie » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:07 pm

I must admit I've avoided this thread, Nia pointed it out to me and I've read threw it, it's intresting to see what you've all put and stuff!

I've got NO self esteam, but I do have a bit more conferdance than I used to have, and that's all down to my friend Nia (thank you sweetie :D) she kinda smaked me with a big stick alot.

I think at the Jamboree I started to relise how much of my shell I crawled back into. This is really hard for my to type, it's kinda like bearing me soul so to speek. I know I am a large (some cuddely acroding to Alex) Lady, who could deffenutly stand to lose a tone of weight. When I was in school I was a nice healthy weight and thought I was a wale, seriusly I did. I took confort in food, because their was nothing else for it really. I could blame bully's, or peer pressure or even the media, but to be honest I blame my own ignorance. I had no idear what effect eating so much food would have on me, or how much of a nasty circel it could become. If I'd know about healthy eating it might have played a bigger part in my decicion's. If I'd lisened a bit more, it might have helped, but I didn't, I let other's option of me guide me in my desion's and I'm paying for it now, heavely.

I hate being over weight, it make's me unhappy, misreibel and fed-up. It also (along with some other issue's witch I wont go into) stop's me from forming a relastionship because quite frankly I can't see how another guy would ever wont to look at me in anything more than a friendly way, if that. I've got it drilled into my thick head that I'm just to disgusting to touch in any way shape or form. I've tryed a few time's with guy's, but each time it's fizzeled out because they dont understand the meaning of takeing it slow and I've made bad choice's myself.

This is turning into a rant, I didn't intend that, but this has also been one of the hardest thing's for me to write. I'm not looking for sythmpy here Ok, I just wont to state that. I'm just tellin it like it is. My eating habit's are alot better than what they used to be and I make a point of going out and excerssing at lest 3 time's a week, be it a long walk, or going on a day trip with Nia and the kid's, witch I enjoy doing geatly. I'm not as unfit as I used to be, but their's a hell of a long way to go.

Sorry about that, I don't think I've put everything in that I really wont to say, but I just can't, sorry.
Love and Huggel's,
Bex's
xxxx
Regarding D&D anyone who quotes Holy Grail during a session should be made to eat their own character sheet
CaptainPixie

Location: Where Evil Can Be Whacked With A Spoon and Made To Clear Up It's Own Mess!

Postby Basement » Mon Aug 13, 2007 01:15 pm

*hugs Bex*
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby Dragonlady » Mon Aug 13, 2007 01:26 pm

Bex hun - Love and huggles to you too. That was a very brave thing to type, and I'm sure I'm not the only one to appreciate it!

I think that if there's one thing I've learned recently, it's that beauty is very definately in the eye of the beholder, and that beauty is as beauty does.

Bex, and Jax, you are both fabulous beautiful people, who don't give yourselves enough credit.

I know every day that I'm very lucky to have wonderful friends like you guys.
If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

http://www.inspiredtowalk.co.uk/ Kilimanjaro 2013 or bust!
Dragonlady

Postby Basement » Mon Aug 13, 2007 01:51 pm

Big, fat, rose smelling dittoes, Kirstie, I'm so glad to know you all
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Aug 13, 2007 01:52 pm

I'd like to interject a ditto here as well, if I may be so bold! :wink:
Proceed, varlet, and let the day be rendered perfect for my benefit!
Tonyblack

Postby Dragonlady » Mon Aug 13, 2007 02:18 pm

Be as bold as you like Tony!

:wink:
If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

http://www.inspiredtowalk.co.uk/ Kilimanjaro 2013 or bust!
Dragonlady

Postby SolidusII » Mon Aug 13, 2007 03:00 pm

That was indeed brave, I wouldn't have been able to do that.
I have nothing to offer but fear :twisted: wahahhaahahah

"You might think his new trick is sick sawing a pigeon in half with a stick.Look at the pigeon now its in two oh my its rearend is having a poo."
SolidusII

Location: A Soul Sucking Black Pool on The Planet Terra in the System of Sol

Postby Empress » Mon Aug 13, 2007 04:30 pm

Oh, Bex... *HUGS*

And Sue--I decided I was destined to be a redhead after I got rid of my stupid abusive chump of an ex-husband. Remember--blondes have more fun ONLY because redheads don't kiss and tell. We just grin and let you wonder what we're up to. :wink:
The Witch is blogging.
Empress

Location: Pandemonium, People's Republic of Cambridge, MA, Disjointed States of Unawarica

Postby Throat » Mon Aug 13, 2007 06:18 pm

Empress wrote:Oh, Bex... *HUGS*

And Sue--I decided I was destined to be a redhead after I got rid of my stupid abusive chump of an ex-husband. Remember--blondes have more fun ONLY because redheads don't kiss and tell. We just grin and let you wonder what we're up to. :wink:
Two of you in one thread! :shock: See my earlier post about readheads. I think I'll hang around here a bit more. :)
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
Throat

Postby Throat » Mon Aug 13, 2007 06:25 pm

Sorry about the double post. I meant to say - That was a great post Bex. We've never met but I certainly would never have known you were having problems. There's nobody on here who seems brighter or more assertive. And I've read your posts about the help you've given your friends & neighbours over the last few months. You sound like a great girl to have around. Oh, and funny too.

It sounds like you're doing the right things about diet & exercise too.

So, in summary; bright, funny, assertive, loyal and getting slimmer & fitter. Sounds good to me. :wink:
Throat

Postby demdike » Mon Aug 13, 2007 06:30 pm

Throat wrote:, in summary; bright, funny, assertive, loyal and getting slimmer & fitter. Sounds good to me. :wink:

You also have a wonderful speaking voice. :lol:
Death before Dishonour. Nothing before Coffee.
demdike

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Aug 13, 2007 06:33 pm

demdike wrote:
Throat wrote:, in summary; bright, funny, assertive, loyal and getting slimmer & fitter. Sounds good to me. :wink:

You also have a wonderful speaking voice. :lol:
I agree - Bex should read the news on the BBC World Service! :D
Proceed, varlet, and let the day be rendered perfect for my benefit!
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table