Discworld

Beauty in the eye of the Geek.

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Postby swreader » Mon Aug 13, 2007 07:15 pm

Bex--To the list of special qualities I've already described on another thread( and I still think those flowers sum up you and your personality), I need to add "really brave."

I am so proud of you for having the courage to post as you did. That took guts! Keep at it girl! You're really special :thumbr:

And here's a GREAT BIG HUG FOR A BRAVE, BRIGHT, WONDERFUL WOMAN!
"...the start and finish [of witchcraft] is helpin' people when life is on the edge. Even people you don't like. Stars is easy, people is hard. " Granny Weatherwax in Hat Full of Sky
swreader

Postby phazedout » Mon Aug 13, 2007 07:43 pm

Bex
you are beautiiful.I remember now, I met you (While I was in a very hungover state) at hogswatch.
you were kind and friendly and extremely nice, and you'ld never met me before.
to be honest with you Bex I see no reason why anyone would find you unattractive, I don't.
Phaze
on the "finding all the discworld ladies beautiful, cannot understand how they can't see it but offering comfort anyway" ID
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby Nia » Mon Aug 13, 2007 09:30 pm

Yer she is beautifual, and lovely, and it's ok, we drank rum and she is smiling now!
Parenthood is like being nibbled to death by a duck.
Nia

Postby Bickaxe » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:23 pm

And that shouting voice...... :lol:
Daggers!!
Ginger people don't actually taste of ginger :shock:
I tripped on an escalator once and fell downstairs for an hour and a half
UU Shirt no.7
Bickaxe

Postby CaptainPixie » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:51 pm

Bickaxe wrote:And that shouting voice...... :lol:

:oops: I wasn't even trying eaither :oops: :oops:

Edit to add:-

A big thank you to everyone, I wasn't looking for sympthy as Nia will tell you that's just not who I am, I knuckel down and get on with stuff, I i'sh bull headed and ruddy stubbern. I look back on some of the post's and wonder why on earth I come across so nerotic and whiney, I HATE being whiney I'm not like that in real life, at lest I hope I'm not and I shouldn't be typeing this when slightly pished but what the hey! I set too high a standed for myself I surtpose and should bring myself down a peg or eight! god's help me but I need ti just grow up and get over stuff, it can't dog me for the rest of my life if I dont let it.

A slightly pished Bex's
xxx
Regarding D&D anyone who quotes Holy Grail during a session should be made to eat their own character sheet
CaptainPixie

Location: Where Evil Can Be Whacked With A Spoon and Made To Clear Up It's Own Mess!

Postby Catch-up » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:44 am

Bex, this is not sympathy you're getting. You are simply an amazing, beautiful person and we all recognize it. I promise you that you will too one day.
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Catch-up

Postby BlacKAsSasin » Tue Aug 14, 2007 04:30 am

Bex - you are truely an amazingly brave person - I wish you all the happyness in the world - in fact, I wish it for everyone... :)

In my highschool years I didnt eat much because I was too worried that I would put on weight... during the time of our highschool Ball, I went shopping for a dress with my mum and she made a comment to the sales lady that she never found me attractive or beautiful - I couldnt believe what I was hearing - from my own mother..

That made me upset..... I have gone through life I never thought I was attractive or anything because obviously my own mother didnt think so...

But I always new I was beautiful on the inside - and I surrounded myself with beautiful friends who thought so aswell... and that has helped me overcome other peoples thoughts of me and now, as I get older, I know I am beautiful inside and out - all women are beautiful !

To all - Stay away from negaitve attitudes about the perfect size or body image - especially those that the media portrays.....and be the person you are.... and do the things that give you joy, spend time with friends who love you.

We are all beautiful

xxox
You can't stop stupid
BlacKAsSasin

Postby Vampire Cat » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:00 am

What I really annoys me is the daily assault on our self esteem and body image with constant reports on how we are damaging our health.

For example here is todays offering,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6944279.stm

and yes I have a little bit of a belly but I wouldnt consider myself fat, yes I would like to be slimmer but the constant diet of painkillers means thats not going to happen.

When will scientists just accept being alive is bad for our health, and that we will all certainly die one day.

I believe these scientists would be better utilised, if they directed there energies at solving hunger amongst the worlds poor rather than raising peoples blood pressure with their scaremongering.

it does concern me that the constant barrage affects the very young, even Rhiannon on a number of occasions has complained that she is fat, which is ludicrous, and for children her age , not eating enough is likely to cause more problems than so called overeating.

Having met a lot of the luverly laydeez on this forum , all I can say is I think you are all beautiful and I love you just the way you are :thumbr:
2005 to 2008 DW stamps including rare sports for sale , reasonable offers accepted, send me your wants please
Vampire Cat

Postby Throat » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:30 am

Vampire Cat wrote:When will scientists just accept being alive is bad for our health, and that we will all certainly die one day.
You are quite right. We have only 2 certainties. We are born & we will die.

But I'm pleased that research like this is produced and published. It's how we make medical advances. And I think it's sensible that we are given information to make our choices so that we don't kill ourselves through sheer ignorance. For instance almost half of people in the UK don't realise that there is a link between junk food/alcohol and cancer. http://www.guardian.co.uk/medicine/stor ... 72,00.html

I know of the link but I still enjoy a burger & a pint more than anyone else in the world - although, naturally, I draw the line at MacDonalds or Burger-King as they are too disgusting for words. But I can make sure I don't die earlier than I need to by avoiding pigging out on these things all the time and by getting a sensible amount of exercise.

If we know what's happening and what the risks are we can wend our way from birth to death as we decide we want to. I don't think anyone, as yet, is telling us what we must do - although I'd expect direct legal intervention against the producers of things which are actively dangerous.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
Throat

Postby Catch-up » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:44 pm

I went to the salon yesterday. I've known my stylist for years and even though we don't see each other much outside of the salon, I would definitely call him a friend. He's one of those incredible people who you find yourself discussing all kinds of things with and I always felt as if he shared a lot about himself with me. He didn't always have an easy life.

Several years ago he became determined to lose weight. He was never obese, just a few extra pounds. He lost them by getting prescripton diet pills. What I didn't know was that he then became seriously addicted to those same pills. Up until a couple of weeks ago he was taking about 21 a day, instead of the 5-6 prescribed, he was going to four different doctors, four different pharmacies, paying out of pocket so his insurance company wouldn't catch on, coming up with elaborate ways to cheat on the scale at the doctor's office to keep getting them and had even talked other people into getting prescriptions from their doctors to give to him. He said the only place he held it together was at work, outside of work he'd become a recluse and he said he was a monster. He said that he has always hated himself, hated everything about the way he looked and would literally start every day looking himself in the mirror and telling himself how worthless, stupid and ugly he was.

This all came to an end, almost fatally, two weeks ago, when he tried to commit suicide. The only thing that saved his life was that his father happened to come over just in time. He bundled him into the car and immediately checked him into rehab. Yesterday was, amazingly, his first day back to work. I was absolutely stunned. This is a beautiful, vivacious person and I can't believe I had no idea this was going on. And I couldn't believe this was the way he had thought of himself.
Catch-up

Postby Pat » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:59 pm

Vampire Cat wrote:What I really annoys me is the daily assault on our self esteem and body image with constant reports on how we are damaging our health.

For example here is todays offering,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6944279.stm

Unfortunately, research like this gets grabbed the wrong way :-(

Research shows that people with that fat distribution are more likely to get heart disease. It DOESN'T show that getting rid of the fat will alter the risk, or that changing childrens diets so they don't get fat in the first place will either. The reasoning is a bit complex, but as an analogy, consider the fact that red-haired people get skin cancer more than other people - the Celic skin type is more sensitive. Dyeing your hair will get rid of the ginger - but it won't protect your skin. Sun blocks (may) protect, and let you keep your haircolour.

But research like this is important for clinicians; it enables us to focus our attention where it will do most good. And that has to be a good thing financially for the NHS, and for the patients who avoid needless investigations or treatments.
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Aug 15, 2007 01:45 pm

Catch-up wrote:I went to the salon yesterday. I've known my stylist for years and even though we don't see each other much outside of the salon, I would definitely call him a friend. He's one of those incredible people who you find yourself discussing all kinds of things with and I always felt as if he shared a lot about himself with me. He didn't always have an easy life.

Several years ago he became determined to lose weight. He was never obese, just a few extra pounds. He lost them by getting prescripton diet pills. What I didn't know was that he then became seriously addicted to those same pills. Up until a couple of weeks ago he was taking about 21 a day, instead of the 5-6 prescribed, he was going to four different doctors, four different pharmacies, paying out of pocket so his insurance company wouldn't catch on, coming up with elaborate ways to cheat on the scale at the doctor's office to keep getting them and had even talked other people into getting prescriptions from their doctors to give to him. He said the only place he held it together was at work, outside of work he'd become a recluse and he said he was a monster. He said that he has always hated himself, hated everything about the way he looked and would literally start every day looking himself in the mirror and telling himself how worthless, stupid and ugly he was.

This all came to an end, almost fatally, two weeks ago, when he tried to commit suicide. The only thing that saved his life was that his father happened to come over just in time. He bundled him into the car and immediately checked him into rehab. Yesterday was, amazingly, his first day back to work. I was absolutely stunned. This is a beautiful, vivacious person and I can't believe I had no idea this was going on. And I couldn't believe this was the way he had thought of himself.

Susanne, that's a terrible thing to have happened. I imagine that a person like him, who appears on the surface to be so together and well adjusted, would be the last person anyone would expect of having such problems.

The sad thing here is that lack of self-esteem is a killer. People cannot bear to live with themselves as they are and get to the point when the only solution they see is to take their own lives.

Thank goodness this friend of yours was discovered and able to get into rehab. He's going to need to change his way of thinking about himself though. He may have kicked the addition but he needs to learn to accept himslf for the "beautiful, vivacious person" he obviously is.
Proceed, varlet, and let the day be rendered perfect for my benefit!
Tonyblack

Postby Catch-up » Wed Aug 15, 2007 02:11 pm

I'm very worried about him. Two weeks of rehab doesn't seem like much for an addiction that lasted years. And, of course, it's not going to fix his self esteem issue. He acknowledges he's not out of the woods yet. I haven't quite let myself fully accept that I almost lost him for good.
Catch-up

Postby Addicted » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:23 am

Basement wrote:Kirstie, sweetheart, if it wasn't for Small, there would be a long line of people (me included) waiting to punch the c**p out of your ex, the evil man. And I know that part of you won't believe me when I say this, but I honestly think that you're very pretty too, you have lovely eyes and a great smile.

Oooo.. can I borrow that line of people to punch my ex?? :twisted:
Addicted

Postby Basement » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:29 am

If she's nasty to you or Kaci, I think that will be fine!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table