Discworld

Technical FAQs

Just what it says on the tin, a place for all sorts of useful and useless information.

How do I join the mailing lists?

Postby Darren » Thu Jul 06, 2006 09:24 am

Q: How do I join the mailing lists?

A: The mailing lists can be joined the link on the main homepage (down near the bottom), or let us know via this page on the main website. There are a few different ones for the different products produced by the Artificer (plus the events), you can sign up for as many or as few as your interests dictate.

Best of all they're free, so you never need to miss out on any new product or event.
Darren

What do I do if I find a "problem" post by someone

Postby Darren » Sun Oct 08, 2006 05:02 pm

Q: What do I do if I find a "problem" post by someone?

A: A new feature has been installed on the board, for reporting posts to the moderators and administrators. This is the new "!" button, visible at the top-right of posts (except your own), up near the "quote" button.

If you press this, a message is sent to all of the moderators and the administrators saying that you wish to report the post (we get the name of the reporter too). If it is something obvious such as a spam post, then no follow-up action is needed. If it is something less obvious (e.g. something you have a personal objection too) then it would be wise to send a PM as well to clarify your issue.

Should you press the button by mistake, you can cancel the report by going back to the same post and clicking it again (the "!" will be marked with a red symbol). But please use this feature with care, as all mods and admins including Bernard and Tom will receive the notification, and may not be too pleased with repeated "report-spamming".
Darren

Create a bookmark

Postby steeljam » Sun Aug 26, 2007 07:56 pm

Q: How do I bookmark a topic or post so I can refer to it later?

A: In the top left-hand of the message area you will see your forum name followed by a date. To the left of this is a symbol Image
Right-click on this image then select Copy Shortcut
Now send yourself a PM.
Give the PM a memorable title and then paste the shortcut into the message body (Right-click and paste or Ctrl-C)
Finally click on the PM from your In Box and the select Save Message
Your bookmark can now be found in your SaveBox
steeljam
Monitor

Postby steeljam » Wed Dec 24, 2008 06:46 pm

Q: Why can I only send Private Messages to myself

A: It is probably because you have the Norton 360 "Integrity Safe" option turned on.
Your username & password for all the sites are stored and is used to automatically fill in forms on each site which contain fields of that name.
The (Target) Username field on the new PM screen has the name "username" and Norton therefore assumes incorrectly that you want your own username in that field even though you type in the target username you require.
For the time being, the only way round this (that I'm aware of) is to manually switch off "Integrity Safe" before starting to write a PM. NB. If you have not previously switched Integrity Safe on then the PM should work OK.
To switch off "Integrity Safe" open Norton 360 and then pass your cursor over the "Identity Protection" panel. This will open a drop-down menu panel which includes the option to switch the facility off. You can then open the PM new message screen and send your message as normal. When you have finished sending messages, go back to the Norton Control Panel and switch "Integrity Safe" back on.
steeljam
Monitor

Previous

Return to Useful Information