Discworld

Problems and questions - **NO DIGRESSIONS!!**

Just what it says on the tin, a place for all sorts of useful and useless information.

Problems and questions - **NO DIGRESSIONS!!**

Postby Addicted » Sat Apr 23, 2005 06:19 pm

If you are having any problems with this forum or if you'd like to know how to do something technical and you can't find it listed in the FAQ thread, then please use this thread to post your problem and you will either receive a reply in this thread from one of the more technically minded members of the forum, or you'll receive a Private Message.

Please don't post questions in the FAQ thread and please don't digress!!

Thanks!
Addicted

Postby steeljam » Sat Apr 23, 2005 08:23 pm

When I start using the Forum I get directed to the last post I visited. However when revisiting a topic I still get sent to the same last post, not to the last post I have read. The only way of resetting this that I know is by exiting the Forum and going back in.
Is there another way?

Fixed by the new modification to keep unread threads unread - Darren
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Fendetestas » Sat Apr 23, 2005 09:32 pm

steeljam wrote:When I start using the Forum I get directed to the last post I visited. However when revisiting a topic I still get sent to the same last post, not to the last post I have read. The only way of resetting this that I know is by exiting the Forum and going back in.
Is there another way?

That's a good question. I also find it quite annoying, with heavy traffic threads. Maybe something to write the phpBB developers about?
Fendetestas

Postby Darren » Sat Apr 23, 2005 09:33 pm

steeljam wrote:When I start using the Forum I get directed to the last post I visited. However when revisiting a topic I still get sent to the same last post, not to the last post I have read. The only way of resetting this that I know is by exiting the Forum and going back in.
Is there another way?

I know that one, it is annoying. The only way I know is to click on the "last post" tab (the white page icon on the right beside the last post name and time) and work backwards manually. It is irritating I agree, but I think it's something fundamental in php.
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby mavzb » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:17 pm

Darren wrote:It is irritating I agree, but I think it's something fundamental in php.

Definitely something to ask the developers about. I think it happens because either the link to the latest unread post picks up the wrong value for the latest unread post, or because that value isn't being updated correctly. If I had access to the php code I might be able to track down what's (not) happening...
Ninja Hamster
mavzb

Downloading and saving messages

Postby steeljam » Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:29 pm

Because there is a maximum limit to the number of messages and then they drop off I think would be useful to be able to download the messages to a text file. Either download single messages or all ticked messages.
Is this something that could be added to the wish list?

Steve

Fixed by forum modification - Darren
Last edited by steeljam on Thu May 04, 2006 08:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steeljam
Monitor

Re: Downloading and saving messages

Postby Darren » Sun Apr 24, 2005 03:28 pm

steeljam wrote:Becasue there is a maximum limit to the number of messages and then they drop off I think would be useful to be able to download the messages to a text file. Either download single messages or all ticked messages.
Is this something that could be added tothe wish list?

Steve

The simplest way, although somewhat of a bodge, is just copy and paste the text from the forum into a word document or notepad or some similar editor and save it that way.

Less than ideal I know, but it could be a short-term stop-gap.

What I think would be best is to gather up a few of these php-related suggestions for improvement and then maybe see if something can be done about them, either by us or via Bernard or Tom.
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Re: Downloading and saving messages

Postby steeljam » Sun Apr 24, 2005 09:44 pm

Darren wrote:
steeljam wrote:Becasue there is a maximum limit to the number of messages and then they drop off I think would be useful to be able to download the messages to a text file. Either download single messages or all ticked messages. Is this something that could be added to the wish list?
Steve
The simplest way, although somewhat of a bodge, is just copy and paste the text from the forum into a word document or notepad or some similar editor and save it that way.
Less than ideal I know, but it could be a short-term stop-gap.
What I think would be best is to gather up a few of these php-related suggestions for improvement and then maybe see if something can be done about them, either by us or via Bernard or Tom.

And as if by magic a button appears. Now that is service. Thank you to who ever did it.
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Tom » Sun Apr 24, 2005 09:45 pm

Its a bit naff, however I dare say I can look at the code in more detail later.

regards,

Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby ransom_m » Tue Apr 26, 2005 04:51 pm

As most people here know I'm about to go offline for a few weeks, in the meantime my sister has agreed to administer any pms I get (thanks sis) but I'm trying to make her life easy by minimising the number of emails she receives.

Is there anyway I can turn off the auto Email when people respond to any thread I've posted to without me visiting every thread finding a mail I sent and editing the properties, my profile doesn't appear to allow this?
I'm back Image
ransom_m

Postby Darren » Tue Apr 26, 2005 07:25 pm

ransom_m wrote:As most people here know I'm about to go offline for a few weeks, in the meantime my sister has agreed to administer any pms I get (thanks sis) but I'm trying to make her life easy by minimising the number of emails she receives.

Is there anyway I can turn off the auto Email when people respond to any thread I've posted to without me visiting every thread finding a mail I sent and editing the properties, my profile doesn't appear to allow this?

Presuming you've tried the entry in the profile which says:

"Always notify me of replies:
Sends an e-mail when someone replies to a topic you have posted in. This can be changed whenever you post."

and set that to "no", then there is probably no simple way other than going through each thread and removing the "notify me when a reply is posted" entry (if you edit one of your threads, you will see the tick box at the bottom, just above the preview/submit buttons).

What may work is to set the one in your profile to "yes", save the profile and then go back in and set it to "no" again. That may act to set things all on and then all off, thus over-riding your "part set" for specific threads. I will admit that I've not tried that personally as I've got notifications set as I want them and don't want to disrupt things...
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Fendetestas » Tue Apr 26, 2005 07:38 pm

When you change that you don't get e-mails from new threads, but you still get them from older ones. You can click on the unsuscribe from this thread» link in the e-mail, or the «Stop watching this thread» option at the bottom of the thread. This is because you can still suscribe to certain threads (with the analogous «Watch» option), so older suscriptions don't disappear, in case you wanted to keep any of them.
Fendetestas

Postby ransom_m » Wed Apr 27, 2005 07:20 am

Thanks guys :D
I'm back Image
ransom_m

Downloading messages

Postby Cara » Thu Apr 28, 2005 07:18 pm

When I use the export button it duplicates messages ie. they download like this
message 3
message 3
message 2
message 2
message 1
message 1
Am I doing something wrong?
Image Question 16. Who is the Flatalists Wincanton ambassador?
Last edited by Cara on Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cara

Postby Fendetestas » Thu Apr 28, 2005 07:45 pm

It does the same to me. Maybe Tom can look at it.
Fendetestas

Next

Return to Useful Information