Discworld

General FAQs - and how to NOT put your foot in it!!!!

Just what it says on the tin, a place for all sorts of useful and useless information.

Where can I find the rules for the new Koom Valley Thud! ?

Postby Darren » Mon Oct 17, 2005 03:24 pm

Where can I find the rules for the new Koom Valley Thud! ?

The rules for the new version can be found here, on the new Thud! forum site.
Darren

How do I print envelopes?

Postby Darren » Tue Oct 18, 2005 06:41 pm

How do I print envelopes?

If you are a user of M$-Word, it has built-in facilities to print out on envelopes (and labels). All you need to do is follow this menu sequence:

Tools > Letters and Mailings > Envelopes and Labels...

That will open up a useful box which automagically helps you set up a document to print on envelopes, and how to feed them into your printer.

With thanks to Catch-up for the original tip.
Darren

Hogswatch and Shower Q&A

Postby Darren » Sun Oct 23, 2005 04:55 pm

Q: Is there any indication of when things are happening... ie when is the auction and the sausage supper?

A: Timetable is set nearer the time, but the Sausage Supper and the Auction are Saturday night in the Bear (and also the Dolphin for the supper).

Q: I get the impression that this is a big event, not just a flatalist thing... should I take a copy of photos so I can find people or is there a general place people tend to meet up?

A: Everyone kind of meets up at the shop. And yes it is big, and not just Flatalists. If you are interested in meeting up with a particular person then when you are in the shop tell Isobel, or anyone else behind the counter, or even better walk up to just about anyone and introduce yourself, make yourself a name label or, if you have the equipment, a badge.

Q: As for the sausage supper... what is the deal... I buy a ticket. People mentioned that it was split between two places last year, is seating a free for all or is seats assigned?

A: Buy a ticket, you'll be assigned a venue. Seating is free for all.

Q: Do you have to dress up? Do many people dress up?

A: You don't have to. Lots of people do, but as many don't.

Q: What should I bring?

A: Whatever you like. Cakes are welcome. Also take a camera with plenty of film and/or batteries to record your visit. Plus of course, don't forget your money, LOTS of money!!!

Q: What time do things start on the Saturday?

A: When the shop opens, between 9 and 10 am. You can of course join the lovely breakfast in the Dolphin if you're early and hungry, or just early and want to meet people. Brekkie in the Bear ain't half bad either...

Compiled from posts by Nidochartaigh, unohoo, Steeljam, Ptim and Colin, originally made in this thread.
Darren

Stickies and Announcements

Postby Darren » Wed Mar 29, 2006 05:29 am

Stickies and Announcements

Both of these are used by the moderators and administrators to highlight topics which are important or of particular current interest to forum members. However if too many are posted in a given forum, their effectiveness is severely compromised.

To try and manage this, it has been decided that in most cases the lifetime of any announcement or sticky will be limited to three weeks. The only exceptions will be announcements by or on behalf of Bernard and Tom, or items relating to event management such as Shower and Hogswatch at the discretion of the moderators and administrators.

Members who wish a thread to be made into either should PM a moderator for the relevant section with their request, including your reason why it should be made sticky/announcement, when you would like it done and for what period of time. It is requested that the period a thread is kept sticky/announcement is minimised to try and keep the numbers down. The maximum period allowed will be the three weeks, after which the thread will revert to normal and a repeat thread relating to the same topic will not be eligible for to be a sticky/announcement again.

Also please remember that if a thread is regularly posted to, that will by its very nature keep it towards the top of the list anyway, so no sticky setting is required. If a post related to an event or action is made sticky and that event finishes before the end of the 3 weeks, the status of the thread will be reviewed in consultation with the originator. Also the moderators reserve the right to unstick any sticky thread which has digressed from its original subject.
Darren

Previous

Return to Useful Information