Discworld

can we clear a few things up.....please

General Stamp discussion.

Postby Addicted » Fri Feb 18, 2005 07:05 pm

Damn - I haven't got any ungummed ones then!! I thought they were all ungummed and that I was really lucky!! :lol:
Addicted

Postby Vimes » Fri Feb 18, 2005 07:07 pm

so,how rare are the ungummed ones,coz ive got 2,connected to each other,i only just realised it tho,how rare in comparison to the other rares are they?
see the little angels rise up high...

Truth,Justice,Freedom and a Hard Boiled Egg.
Vimes

Postby Addicted » Fri Feb 18, 2005 07:08 pm

I'm pretty sure it says on the website that the first 1,500 Assassins stamps were ungummed.
Addicted

Postby Stuart, sub editor SHSJ » Fri Feb 18, 2005 07:10 pm

Best way of checking if a stamps is gummed is to lick it and stick it on an envelope or perhaps in your album :lol:

To my knowledge only the assassins stamp can be found with a variety that isn't gummed for the reasons explained by Terry. All others should be gummed because they are intended to be stuck on envelopes and posted. It is only an odd few people (or is that a few odd people) that buy them for other purposes!
Stuart, sub editor SHSJ

Re: can we clear a few things up.....please

Postby Rabelasian » Fri Feb 18, 2005 07:44 pm

Vimes wrote:how can you tell if ur stamps are gummed or un-gummed, ive got 4 assisin stapms alltogerther and 2 have a textured backing and 2 have a plain back(and were sent,in black folded card?) and also what the hell is a skunk stamp?? either theres a desighn ive missed(which is unlikely) or theres smelly stamps.

Is there a list anywhere of exactly what stamps are out there, how to tell the differences between them and all the different varieties of each there are including info on franks and specials?

It would be a useful resource for people finding the stamps late on especially since a lot of the stamp info has disappeared from the main site now.

Just a suggestion.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Rabelasian

Postby Stuart, sub editor SHSJ » Fri Feb 18, 2005 07:55 pm

[quote="Rabelasian

Is there a list anywhere of exactly what stamps are out there, how to tell the differences between them and all the different varieties of each there are including info on franks and specials?

It would be a useful resource for people finding the stamps late on especially since a lot of the stamp info has disappeared from the main site now.

Just a suggestion.[/quote]

Its being worked on. But each time I think I have got everything something else comes along like the guild stamps. So heres the dilemma

More stamps or a complete list?

The Journal does a good job of explaining. Given time we will be able to take up the suggestion but we are reaping the whirlwind that has been sown
Stuart, sub editor SHSJ

Postby Mooresey » Fri Feb 18, 2005 08:03 pm

More stamps, stuff the list, we can have that later.
Mooresey

Postby Rabelasian » Fri Feb 18, 2005 08:04 pm

Stuart, sub editor SHSJ wrote:[quote="Rabelasian

Just a suggestion.

Its being worked on. But each time I think I have got everything something else comes along like the guild stamps. So heres the dilemma

More stamps or a complete list?

The Journal does a good job of explaining. Given time we will be able to take up the suggestion but we are reaping the whirlwind that has been sown[/quote]

I was hoping that some brave collector with some web space might attempt to compile a list with a little help from the management. Something that could be easily updated when necessary. I have neither a website or any clue about them so it's nothing I'd be likely to do but the opportunity to do it is out there.
Rabelasian

Postby unohoo » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:40 pm

Someone did start one....
http://www.logonline.org.uk/Stamps/
unohoo

Postby Rabelasian » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:26 pm

Yay! It covers all the basic information and looks like it would be easy to add on to. What more do you need. Yes, I know there are things like pictures and fancy descriptions but it covers the basics.

It gives enough info for a newbie to find out what stamps are out there which is what I was trying to suggest in the first place.
Rabelasian

Postby unohoo » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:08 am

Unfortunately, I can't remember who it was that did it...
unohoo

Postby Bernard the Stout » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:26 am

unohoo wrote:Don't. Suggest it and someone will do it.

What a brilliant idea.
And we’ll need someone to test out all the interesting flavours that might be found in that queen of cities, Ankh-Morpork.
Terry asked if we could do cabbage, and we could, but poor Rob Wilkins was quite ill for a while afterwards.
Strange that, because it was shortly after that little experiment that he had to go into the potting shed at Pratchett Towers, to rescue an under gardener from the effects of the ‘Oditorium’ Terry had constructed.
Bye the way, please under no account mention cabbages, or any cabbage based products to dear Rob if you see him at any time. For some strange reason he shudders and has been heard to whimper.
So back to the ‘flavours’
A free Penny Civic with the bust ‘V’ to the most original entry for odoriferous ideas.
Granny Isobel will judge because she, unlike me, cannot be bribed.
Post your suggestions on this thread, or start another if you wish.
The competition will finish 10pm UK local time. MONDAY 21 FEB

Oh and any more ‘good’ ideas will result in detention for all of you, and possibly lines as well.
Now get on with it.
B t S
Last edited by Bernard the Stout on Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bernard the Stout
Cunning Artificer

Postby nevermind » Sat Feb 19, 2005 04:18 am

Lilac Smelling City Watch ,........................ Opps wrong thread
nevermind

Postby Vimes » Sat Feb 19, 2005 04:32 pm

Bernard the Stout wrote:
unohoo wrote:Don't. Suggest it and someone will do it.

What a brilliant idea.
And we’ll need someone to test out all the interesting flavours that might be found in that queen of cities, Ankh-Morpork.
Terry asked if we could do cabbage, and we could, but poor Rob Wilkins was quite ill for a while afterwards.
Strange that, because it was shortly after that little experiment that he had to go into the potting shed at Pratchett Towers, to rescue an under gardener from the effects of the ‘Oditorium’ Terry had constructed.
Bye the way, please under no account mention cabbages, or any cabbage based products to dear Rob if you see him at any time. For some strange reason he shudders and has been heard to whimper.
So back to the ‘flavours’
A free Penny Civic with the bust ‘V’ to the most original entry for odoriferous ideas.
Granny Isobel will judge because she, unlike me, cannot be bribed.
Post your suggestions on this thread, or start another if you wish.
The competition will finish 10pm UK local time. MONDAY 21 FEB

Oh and any more ‘good’ ideas will result in detention for all of you, and possibly lines as well.
Now get on with it.
B t S

ok...i know i might seem a little desperate here but this was my idea...i want that to be knows thats all :) ,if tasty stamps are made and i was part of it i will be over the moon,probobly over a few moons in fact,i dont want any credit like i just want to say...it was me. :lol:
see the little angels rise up high...

Truth,Justice,Freedom and a Hard Boiled Egg.
Vimes

Previous

Return to The Stamps