Discworld

Stamp Catalogue

General Stamp discussion.

Re: Stamp Catalogue

Postby danjim » Mon Jun 28, 2010 05:15 pm

Muba wrote:
Murgatroyd wrote:Just for the sake of completism you might add the perforated proof sheet version of the Anoia stamp, as it's slightly larger than the standard issue.

and the shading in the background is much much lighter

This is a difficult one to judge, is it a stamp or a proof sheet?

Presumably, it was produced as a very ornate proof sheet but, uniquely, with the stamp element being perforated. Were it to be detached from the sheet it would readily pass through the post as a normal Anoia stamp.

I'm happy for Steeljam to decide how he'll classify it.

Daniel
danjim

Postby Murgatroyd » Mon Jun 28, 2010 06:12 pm

It's not entirely unique, as the 2 Koom Valley 10P Commemorative Dwarf and Troll stamps that are already listed in the catalogue were also presented on ornate perforated proof sheets... I'd say some sort of precedent has already been established there... of course, as you say, it's entirely up to Steeljam.
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby Muba » Mon Jun 28, 2010 07:12 pm

Murgatroyd wrote:It's not entirely unique, as the 2 Koom Valley 10P Commemorative Dwarf and Troll stamps that are already listed in the catalogue were also presented on ornate perforated proof sheets... I'd say some sort of precedent has already been established there... of course, as you say, it's entirely up to Steeljam.

The two Koom Valley sheets contain a stamp that is different to the regular KV stamps though.
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby danjim » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:13 pm

Muba wrote:
Murgatroyd wrote:It's not entirely unique, as the 2 Koom Valley 10P Commemorative Dwarf and Troll stamps that are already listed in the catalogue were also presented on ornate perforated proof sheets... I'd say some sort of precedent has already been established there... of course, as you say, it's entirely up to Steeljam.

The two Koom Valley sheets contain a stamp that is different to the regular KV stamps though.

Yes, and for that reason they are another anomaly.

Here is another one. Are the Scouts 'stamps' denominated in denarii (old pence) and shillings (also listed in the catalogue) stamps or labels? They don't really fit into the stamp canon, not least because of the currency.
Last edited by danjim on Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danjim

Postby Muba » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:25 pm

They are in that void betwixt DW and RW. The values are in mixed currency; $sd in fact. The Jamboree was held here on RW, but look at the participants on the Triangle stamp. An issue that confuses.
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby Chip » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:46 am

danjim wrote:
Muba wrote:

They are not anomalies nor are they proof sheets. They are souvenir sheets. As such they are issued by the post office for use by the general public. Proofs or proof sheets are prepared by the printer for the post office's approval and are usually not released to the public but in any case are not valid for postage. Proofs may not reflect the final design of the stamp. So the Anoia proof is slightly different from the Anoia stamp.

So, the KV Commemorative sheets should be listed with the regular postage stamps and the Anoia sheet would be listed with the other proof sheets.

Maybe a little pedantic, but I think it's the simplest way to look at these. :)
Chip

Postby danjim » Tue Jun 29, 2010 05:39 am

Chip wrote:
danjim wrote:
Muba wrote:

They are not anomalies nor are they proof sheets. They are souvenir sheets. As such they are issued by the post office for use by the general public. Proofs or proof sheets are prepared by the printer for the post office's approval and are usually not released to the public but in any case are not valid for postage. Proofs may not reflect the final design of the stamp. So the Anoia proof is slightly different from the Anoia stamp.

So, the KV Commemorative sheets should be listed with the regular postage stamps and the Anoia sheet would be listed with the other proof sheets.

Maybe a little pedantic, but I think it's the simplest way to look at these. :)

Except that they are stated as being Proof Sheets here:

http://www.discworldemporium.com/catalo ... 2&catid=20
danjim

Postby Murgatroyd » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:50 am

Another question applies to the Pain of Pain stamps. There are currently four colour variations listed in the catalogue. However, If you carefully examine the Phosphor gloss overprints on the Pain of pain sheet it turns out that there are actually 10 different Pain of Pain stamps represented there. Two variants of the Blue stamp, two variants of the Red stamp, The Black stamp, and five different variants of the Purple stamp.
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby Muba » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:54 am

Examples of the Pain in the A... I mean Pain of Pains here
http://www.discworldstamps.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12833&hilit=pain
Muba

Postby Muba » Tue Jun 29, 2010 01:04 pm

Just noticed on the original Bad Blintz higher values that the perforations are 16 / 2mm, much like the UU stamps.
Thia applies to the 10, 20, 50 and 100 Bizot stamps. The 1,2 and 5 B are 13.5 / 2cm.
Muba

Postby Muba » Tue Jun 29, 2010 01:08 pm

And dont forget the two Booklets of Bad Blintz 50B stamps, one overprinted for Zlobenia

Both have generated 2 new stamps. Each has a left hand and a right hand imperforate stamp.

I won't mention the books having a printing with brighter colours
Muba

Postby steeljam » Tue Jun 29, 2010 01:57 pm

FOR SALE

One careful owner

STAMP CATALOGUE

Owner going a little loonie

All offers considered

:lol:
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Muba » Tue Jun 29, 2010 02:00 pm

As with most projects, 95% of the content is done in 25% of the time. The other 5% takes 195% of the time.
Muba

Postby steeljam » Tue Jun 29, 2010 02:28 pm

Muba wrote:As with most projects, 95% of the content is done in 25% of the time. The other 5% takes 195% of the time.

:D

To be honest it is beilliant there are so many people to help get the catalogue up to scratch.
Once done I can visit the British Library and tell them what they are missing. :D
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Muba » Tue Jun 29, 2010 02:32 pm

steeljam wrote:
Muba wrote:As with most projects, 95% of the content is done in 25% of the time. The other 5% takes 195% of the time.

:D

To be honest it is beilliant there are so many people to help get the catalogue up to scratch.
Once done I can visit the British Library and tell them what they are missing. :D

Then pop across to Stanley Gibbons and tell them what they're missing
Muba

PreviousNext

Return to The Stamps