Discworld

The Rarest of the Rare

General Stamp discussion.

Re: The Rarest of the Rare

Postby SimonC » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:51 pm

It's nearly midnight on Saturday, what do you want, miracles?

I just thought of another one... I think the list should include:
SHS-AM0012-Dw Assassins Post Paid Vine Whiteback
No idea how many exist, but there are only a few about ;)
SimonC

Postby steeljam » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:54 am

SimonC wrote:It's nearly midnight on Saturday, what do you want, miracles?
I just thought of another one... I think the list should include:
SHS-AM0012-Dw Assassins Post Paid Vine Whiteback
No idea how many exist, but there are only a few about ;)
It is getting esoteric.
I think I will now require to be sent/given an example of any uncatalogued items.
I reserve the right to ignore and will ignore items issued by Colin that were not on the Discworld Stamp web site, as I will ignore other unofficial stamps.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Murgatroyd » Sun Jan 23, 2011 01:32 am

For the list I'm going to ignore Unusual pairs of stamps... there are too many possible combinations, Single stamps only... I'll cover strips and sheets in a further section on the list as soon as I've sorted out the data.
SimonC, Thank you for reminding me to add the Vine variant.
Skaven, I'm only adding stamps that have been available directly from the Emporium (either by way of purchase or gift). Colin has produced some of the loveliest items, but as some of the prototypes and test items have never been available for direct sale, and in most cases are now totally unobtainable, it seems a bit unfair to people who never had a chance to get hold of them, and new collectors who never will, to dangle unobtainable carrots in front of them, Though some new collectors may feel that the entire list is a dangly carrot shaped thing :) .
Last edited by Murgatroyd on Sun Jan 23, 2011 05:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby steeljam » Sun Jan 23, 2011 02:57 am

Muba wrote:
steeljam wrote:
Muba wrote:Oh I see
Yep, got the culprit
Not Discworld.
Basically it is a sticker, not even a Cinderella stamp.

yet issued in the year of the Pensive Hare
and emanating from No 41and described as "a stamp".
Yes there are grey areas, and this may be poles apart from DW stamps.
But this is a discussion on rarity rather than inclusion in the catalogue

You want rarity - I could get Bernard, Ian and Terry to annotate a stamp or stickers (we have already seen this) which make an item unique, i.e. only one exists.
This is a stupid situation. It is wonderful for the individually but trying to catalogue this random item is not practical.
My own guideline on cataloguing Discworld stamps is, from experience:
A. 41 is not the arbiter of what is a true Discworld stamp*
B. The item in question bears the Ankh-Morpork or other regional identity.
C. The Item has a value.
The TMD Red Nose Hare sticker fails on too many levels,
Rare? I have a sheet ot 15 stickers.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Murgatroyd » Sun Jan 23, 2011 03:23 am

steeljam wrote:You want rarity - I could get Bernard, Ian and Terry to annotate a stamp or stickers (we have already seen this) which make an item unique, i.e. only one exists.
This is a stupid situation. It is wonderful for the individually but trying to catalogue this random item is not practical.
C. The Item has a value.

These are some very valid points, however as this list includes Labels as well as Stamps, and as the Red nosed Hare was available for purchase from the Emporium (Weather as a Stamp, Sticker or Label), I believe that it belongs on this list.
Some items suggested for the list were items that I was previously unaware of, and it's quite possible (Make that an absolute certainty), that there have been further "One Off's" that have been given as personal gifts to lucky people that I also don't know anything about. Some might say that some variants of the Assassins guild Post Paid and 3P issues were "mistakes" and shouldn't be on my list or even in your wonderful catalogue. Of course everybody is entitled to their own opinion on this, but I'm happy that you catalogued them and I believe that they have a place on the list.
I would welcome information on your sheet of stickers... I've added a section on the Rarest sheets, (Though it's by no means finished). I'll be covering Stamp strips in a further section soon.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby Murgatroyd » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:42 am

archerinwood wrote:Is the wincanton 1/2 penny post 2004 rare? :? I am recieving one from ebay and it is misaligned.

Hello archerinwood,
Sorry I didn't reply to your question about this stamp. I'm afraid the Wincanton perforated year 1 definitive stamps, whilst being quite rare now, were produced in quantities of well over 100, and thus won't be appearing on my list.
I'm also sorry that I wasn't able to help you with a "Smoking Gnu" stamp, but as I said, I'd be happy to send you some of the earlier stamps for free if you give me your address. I can well remember how I despaired of being able to fill the many gaps in my collection when I started collecting in November 2009. Some of the original collectors were kind enough to send me stamps, and I'd be happy to pass some on to you. If you send me your address I'll put them in the post.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby Muba » Sun Jan 23, 2011 01:30 pm

steeljam wrote:You want rarity - I could get Bernard, Ian and Terry to annotate a stamp or stickers (we have already seen this) which make an item unique, i.e. only one exists.
C. The Item has a value.

Steve, this is Charles' list and he can include whatever he likes, much as you can decide what goes in the catalogue. The thread is titled Rarest of the Rare, not Stamp Catalogue. I am happy to suggest rare items and have Charles decide whether they are appropriate or not, just as I am happy for you to select what is in your catalogue.
I think its appropriate for both/either of you to restrict to items that collectors have had a fair chance to acquire through prizes, sales, trades or LBEs. One offs are out of scope as you point out they can be manufactured. But I would reject those from the lists because collectors haven't had a fair or equal chance to obtain it.
But for both of you, I would list everything that is legit as per above. whether you relegate it to Cinderellas or labels is up to you. A common term for these in USA is 'Back of the Book'. Stick them at the back if you like. But if you leave out something that others may consider valid for inclusion your list or catalogue looks incomplete or censored. Let the viewer decide whether they consider it as part of the the hobby. You can say why you have left them out of main listings, but don't ignore them.
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby Muba » Sun Jan 23, 2011 04:06 pm

Puck of Pooks Hill stamp.
How many of these were printed? I have it down as 1,000 but think that may be way out.
I think I have only seen one on eBay ever
though it probably counts least as a DW stamp and may not be categorised as such
This I think was only avaiable on covers which also relegates it from the list
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby Catch-up » Sun Jan 23, 2011 04:37 pm

Fun list Charles! :D Thanks for putting it together. I'll definitely be printing it off as well. Although, I don't recognize most of them. :shock: I'm hoping that's because they came out after I stopped collecting, sometime in 2009.

I believe there were 104 or 105 Red Nosed Patricians, for whatever that's worth. A few more than the originally proposed 100 were made because Bernard didn't want to leave out just the few extra who wanted one. :D
Last edited by Catch-up on Sun Jan 23, 2011 04:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Catch-up

Postby Murgatroyd » Sun Jan 23, 2011 04:38 pm

I know that I don't have a Puck of Pooks hill stamp. I'd love to get one sometime. I don't think there could have been 1000, or we'd see more of them in the other place. If there had been 1000 of the first day covers, they'd either still be up for sale, or they were withdrawn and shredded. Even then I suspect some might have come up as prizes since.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby Frank the Younger » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:51 am

SHS-AM0012-Ew Assassins' Guild Post Paid 3p Overprint
There are actually two different overprints.
There are 6 overprinted in black. These are the top two rows of the sheet (They used the Zombie proof sheet of 9 stamps) with a row of overprints in the selvedge above the stamps.
There is 1 overprinted in two colours, this number is according to Bernard's story of how the stamp came about.
Zombier special 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grandad III Frank The Younger :-)
Frank the Younger

Postby Muba » Mon Jan 24, 2011 07:32 pm

Frank the Younger wrote:SHS-AM0012-Ew Assassins' Guild Post Paid 3p Overprint
There are 6 overprinted in black. These are the top two rows of the sheet (They used the Zombie proof sheet of 9 stamps) with a row of overprints in the selvedge above the stamps.
Zombier special 3.jpg

Could that be a mis-aligned overprint? Intended for all nine stamps. If the top row (in the selvedge) is the same height above the second row as the second row is above the third row (about 38mm) then misalignment is a possibility.

I also remember a 9 stamp proof sheet with just the bottom three rows overprinted 3p mentioned two or three years ago. It was said to be unique.
Muba

Postby unfranked » Mon Jan 24, 2011 08:26 pm

I'm confused! Are we talking about 6 stamps or six proof sheets being overprinted in black. And if they are proof sheets then presumably ungummed and not unperfed?

The whole issue (!) sounds like a laser-printing bodge at the shop that escaped via a favoured fan and never intended to actually be a Discworld stamp.
unfranked

Postby Muba » Mon Jan 24, 2011 08:43 pm

unfranked wrote:I'm confused! Are we talking about 6 stamps or six proof sheets being overprinted in black. And if they are proof sheets then presumably ungummed and not unperfed?

The whole issue (!) sounds like a laser-printing bodge at the shop that escaped via a favoured fan and never intended to actually be a Discworld stamp.

I think its a single proof sheet with 9 stamps, 6 of which are overprinted. Yes, ungummed and unperforated. Not sure about the favoured fan, but escape is perhaps an appropriate verb
Muba

Postby Frank the Younger » Mon Jan 24, 2011 08:53 pm

Muba wrote:
unfranked wrote:I'm confused! Are we talking about 6 stamps or six proof sheets being overprinted in black. And if they are proof sheets then presumably ungummed and not unperfed?

I think its a single proof sheet with 9 stamps, 6 of which are overprinted. Yes, ungummed and unperforated. Not sure about the favoured fan, but escape is perhaps an appropriate verb

Well the single I have is perforated and gummed.
Actually I have never known how it ended up in my collection, I had not realized it was overprinted. It was only when Ken was looking at my stamps and he noticed the overprint that I even knew I had the stamp.
I did learn to look more carefully at my stamps after that. :)
Grandad III Frank The Younger :-)
Frank the Younger

PreviousNext

Return to The Stamps