Discworld

Welcome to new members

Somewhere to say hello, draw up a chair and join us by the fire...

Re: Welcome to new members

Postby steeljam » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:52 am

mkearns94 wrote:Hi Everyone!
Just signed up so I wanted to quickly introduce myself. I'm a relatively new fan of Terry Pratchett's work after finally getting round to watching a couple of the TV adaptations (just finished Going Postal part 2, hence the late night post) and looking into the original books they're based on, during which I stumbled upon the emporium's website.
I feel like I've cheated myself out of years of enjoyment by missing out on Discworld so far, so I have a whole lot of reading to do if I want to catch up, right?
Anyway, I look forward to getting to know you all and hopefully becoming part of the community. I'm sure I'll speak to you soon! :)
Don't feel sad. There are many members, me included, who would love to be able to be setting out from scratch on Terry's books.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby phalarope » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:50 pm

Welcome all you new people. :sunny: @mkearns94 - What Steeljam said! :D
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby dried_frog » Fri Dec 19, 2014 07:25 pm

Hello everyone!
I'm not quite new on the Discworld Emporium, and I often watch the news on the forum. I now decided to sign up because... I don't know. Just because. I'm not very comfortable with the English language, sorry !
I am a fan of the works of Sir Terry Pratchett for several years. I find that everything he wrote is brilliant! I know the Discworld Emporium since 2012, and I'm especially fan of the stamps... I find that these small pieces of paper are just amazing!
Nice to meet you!
"It's still magic even if you know how it's done."
dried_frog

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Dec 19, 2014 09:15 pm

dried_frog wrote:Hello everyone!
I'm not quite new on the Discworld Emporium, and I often watch the news on the forum. I now decided to sign up because... I don't know. Just because. I'm not very comfortable with the English language, sorry !
I am a fan of the works of Sir Terry Pratchett for several years. I find that everything he wrote is brilliant! I know the Discworld Emporium since 2012, and I'm especially fan of the stamps... I find that these small pieces of paper are just amazing!
Nice to meet you!

Hi dried_frog, welcome to the Forum and congratulations on your 3 Blue Triangles! :thumbl:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Ken » Sun Jan 11, 2015 03:10 pm

Hey all, Newbie arriving to say "Hello". As you can see via my username my name is Ken and i'm from Tyne & Wear, i'm new to the discworld adventure and i have alot of reading and learning to do. So without ado... :thumbr:
Ken

Postby Shivers » Thu Jan 29, 2015 02:05 pm

Welcome Ken! *waves* Have an absolute blast on your adventure.
Irish Discworld Convention 2019 - 29th March - 1st April 2019, Cork International Hotel
News and updates here: http://www.idwcon.orgTwittering on and on here: https://twitter.com/
And book of face here: https://www.facebook.com/irishdiscworld/
Shivers

Postby phalarope » Mon Mar 02, 2015 03:00 pm

Welcome, welcome, lilxamz! :sunny:

Wander over to The Kitchen Table for wedding discussions, and to Artifacts to talk about stamps (and stamps on wedding invitations 8) )
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Caz » Sat Mar 07, 2015 08:03 pm

Hi All

Hoping to meet new people and make new friends. Been a Discworld fan since about the age of 11. Favourite book is Equal Rites, more recently Unseen Academicals.

Caz
Caz

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:39 am

Caz wrote:Hi All

Hoping to meet new people and make new friends. Been a Discworld fan since about the age of 11. Favourite book is Equal Rites, more recently Unseen Academicals.

Caz
Hi Caz, welcome to the Forum! :sunny: Click on "View active topics' to see what we're all chatting about at the moment or go to the Board Index and pick a section if you want to start a topic of your own! :thumbl:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby CanadianGadfly » Thu Apr 30, 2015 03:51 pm

Hello, my name is Dean ('CanadianGadfly'). I've been ordering goodies from the Emporium since last July, but only really started posting on the Forum this week. I'm a bit shy about social media. I've been reading (and re-reading) Terry Pratchett for about ten years. I'm a retired postal worker so, naturally, I loved Going Postal (both the book and the movie). I'll save the rest for the 'Tell us about yourself' thread.
CanadianGadfly

Postby phalarope » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:06 pm

Welcome, welcome Caz and CanadianGadfly!

No worries about being shy - I am paranoid about social media. But this is a conversation board, not social media :wink: And everybody is friendly here. Have a look through the Kitchen Table for general conversation, and don't forget the Stamps threads. :D
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Gaspode » Mon May 04, 2015 02:20 pm

Hi. I used to be addicted to the Discworld, but due to circumstances wot I couldn't control, I was cured.

Well a while ago I fell off the wagon, changed my job and got bored one night in a nameless hotel chain and started rereading a book on the kindle. Ended up sitting in the bar giggling to myself and I'm sure getting weird looks from all the others around me, ha people with social lives who don't spend their lives moving from hotel to hotel, hoping and praying they don't bump into Lenny Henry.

The book, Interesting Times of course, one of my many favourites. Carried on with fifth continent, moving pictures, thud, going postal and by the end of the week I had worked my way through another three books.

So I'm now seeking a support group, although this may not be the best place, at least most of you are in a worse state than me. I have at least tried to live a normal'ish life.

Anyway, Hello, I'm Barrie and I now live in sunny Shoreham by Sea, Sussex. With my wife (who never did fully understand my affliction) and told Terry just that once or twice, our son Thomas, whom I used to drag over the country to all the Discworld gatherings, they are soon to be running a sandwich bar in the town, Rebecca our daughter who understood me but still treated me like an idiot now lives in Australia.

I cannot make jewellery anymore due to my eyesight, but I still draw and paint, spend hours keeping the classic car running, and running all over the country installing, fixing and servicing packaging machinery.

Please be gentle with me.
Gaspode

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon May 04, 2015 02:27 pm

Hello Barrie :D

Welcome to the Forum! Come in, pull up chair and make yourself at home - you are amongst friends and fellow Discworld addicts! :thumbr:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Gaspode » Mon May 04, 2015 05:08 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:Hello Barrie :D

Welcome to the Forum! Come in, pull up chair and make yourself at home - you are amongst friends and fellow Discworld addicts! :thumbr:

Why thank you kindly, although I've been here before and my chair should be pushed into a corner somewhere. Covered in dust and cobwebs. is Jeeves still hiding in the residents club?
Gaspode

Postby phalarope » Mon May 04, 2015 07:30 pm

Welcome home Barrie, so glad to see you back! :sunny:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

PreviousNext

Return to The Welcome Mat