Discworld

Advice

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Advice

Postby Sandra » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:08 pm

No not your opinion about my problem - though I'm sure you will be free to offer :D

I have decided to try collecting bits of advice for by nephew and nieces, write it up in books and give them out when the kids are old enough to (possibly) think about it.

So far I'm quoting Yoda, Jack Sparrow, Gandalf, Anne Frank and Stephen Hawking amongst others (and many anonymous). Any you would add?

Oddly enough my favourite is a vampire advising a warewolf about bullies:

"Hiding what you are is a slow painful death. It locks you in a darkness with the one bully you can't silence, your own self-hate. There will always be people who hate. They will latch onto any flimsy excuse they can to justify their rage. If you let them cut yourself off by hiding away, they've won, The trick is to surround yourself with the people who will love you for yourself."
For anyone interested its from Black wolves of Boston by Wen Spencer
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Re: Advice

Postby chrisboote » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:01 am

Just about anything Terry ever said
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby phalarope » Fri Dec 29, 2017 05:29 pm

chrisboote wrote:Just about anything Terry ever said

I knew if I waited long enough someone would say that. :thumbr:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Dec 29, 2017 07:46 pm

"A perfect martini should be made by filling a glass with gin then waving it in the general direction of Italy."
- Noel Coward

"Don't wait for a light to appear at the end of the tunnel, stride down there and light the bloody thing yourself."
- Sara Henderson
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Nonny Mouse » Sun Dec 31, 2017 05:51 pm

A thousand quote from Sir Terry, but also:

Be who you are say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

There's no such thing as a happy ending, because nothing ends. - The Last Unicorn

And also my signoff. That's actually from a Disney movie about this guy who has to go to the Arctic to prove that wolves are killing off all the Caribou. He was, according to the the rules, supposed to sneak up and observe them downwind without revealing his presence etc etc.... meanwhile the wolves are sitting around watching his every move curiously. So instead he gets to know them. And no, they aren't killing off all the caribou.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby phalarope » Sun Dec 31, 2017 06:30 pm

Nonny Mouse wrote:And also my signoff. That's actually from a Disney movie about this guy who has to go to the Arctic to prove that wolves are killing off all the Caribou. He was, according to the the rules, supposed to sneak up and observe them downwind without revealing his presence etc etc.... meanwhile the wolves are sitting around watching his every move curiously. So instead he gets to know them. And no, they aren't killing off all the caribou.

[Digression] Good old Farley Mowatt. Real guy. His book is titled Never Cry Wolf. [/Digression]
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun Dec 31, 2017 07:08 pm

phalarope wrote:
Nonny Mouse wrote:And also my signoff. That's actually from a Disney movie about this guy who has to go to the Arctic to prove that wolves are killing off all the Caribou. He was, according to the the rules, supposed to sneak up and observe them downwind without revealing his presence etc etc.... meanwhile the wolves are sitting around watching his every move curiously. So instead he gets to know them. And no, they aren't killing off all the caribou.

[Digression] Good old Farley Mowatt. Real guy. His book is titled Never Cry Wolf. [/Digression]

I watched a brilliant documentary once on the amazingly postive difference that reintroducing wolves in Yellowstone made - was that the same guy?
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby phalarope » Sun Dec 31, 2017 07:34 pm

Probably not. Farley Mowatt was Canadian and a prolific author focused often on the north. Somewhat controversial today. Check out 'Gray Seas Under', 'A Whale for the Killing', 'The Farfarers'.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Sandra » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:31 pm

Was that the guy who found the deer eaten were diseased and old - and that the wolves ate mice over the summer?

(I think he also tried catching and eating mice while living with the wolves)
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Nonny Mouse » Mon Jan 01, 2018 05:46 pm

Yep. I think my favorite part was him drinking 27 cups of tea and peeing all over to mark his territory.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby phalarope » Mon Jan 01, 2018 07:30 pm

Nonny Mouse wrote:Yep. I think my favorite part was him drinking 27 cups of tea and peeing all over to mark his territory.
:thumbr: :thumbr: :thumbr:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby annebn » Tue Jan 02, 2018 03:15 pm

As others have said, most of what Terry wrote. But to pick just one, I would go for:
“It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.”
― Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent
Humans are always slightly lost. It's a basic characteristic. It explains a lot about them
-Terry Pratchett, Lord and ladies
annebn

Return to The Kitchen Table