Discworld

What are you reading when not on this forum IV

For literary discussions, of both Pratchett and other authors.

Re: What are you reading when not on this forum IV

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun May 13, 2018 03:24 pm

phalarope wrote:How many cups of tea are you in, now? :wink:
:lol: I've lost count! Have just finished the second book and realised with horror that the 3rd book wasn't delivered with the others :shock: :( So I've got to wait until the postman arrives tomorrow . . . and find something to occupy myself so I don't give in to temptation and start reading the 4th in the meantime :evil:

It looks like I'll actually have to do some **shudders at the thought** housework instead . . . and I thought being subjected to Eurovision last night was punishment enough for my sins!!
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby steeljam » Sun May 13, 2018 07:08 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:
:lol: I've lost count! Have just finished the second book and realised with horror that the 3rd book wasn't delivered with the others :shock: :( So I've got to wait until the postman arrives tomorrow . . . and find something to occupy myself so I don't give in to temptation and start reading the 4th in the meantime :evil:

You can skip the third book - the butler did it :thumbl:
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun May 13, 2018 07:23 pm

steeljam wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote:

You can skip the third book - the butler did it :thumbl:
:lol:
Oh, not him again?!? :roll: In the library, with the lead piping was it?
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Catch-up » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:36 am

Just finished the most recent in the Rivers of London series. Love those books! Also recently read a book called An Absolutely Remarkable Thing. A little frustrating from a plot perspective regarding the ending - unless there's going to be a sequel, but I didn't get that impression. But, the psychology of internet fame displayed by the main character is fascinating!

For whatever reason, I've given up on a good half dozen books after getting about half way through. I guess I just tried to slog through them longer than I should have.
Catch-up

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:04 am

Went to a Ben Aaronovitch's (author of the Rivers Of London series) talk at Daunt Books in Hampstead yesterday evening and was delighted to find out that he's such a genuinely nice bloke!

I got there a bit early so had a chance to chat to him beforehand and was delighted to find out he's a proper fan-boy, just like us! He's possibly going to do the the DWCon next year :D

Also found out that he used to work in the Covent Garden Waterstones way back when I used to work round the corner and used to pop in at lunch times! He was manager of the fantasy & SciFi section, so I definitely would have actually met him at the till at some point - small old world innit?

He's also done a deal with Simon Pegg & Nick Frost's production company to make a TV adaptation of the Rivers of London series. Ben won't be showrunner or writing all the scripts, but he will be executive producer and have final say over anything - so am really hopeful that this could be good :D No time-line yet for when production will start as yet.
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby chrisboote » Thu Jun 13, 2019 02:14 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:Went to a Ben Aaronovitch's (author of the Rivers Of London series) talk at Daunt Books in Hampstead yesterday evening and was delighted to find out that he's such a genuinely nice bloke!

I got there a bit early so had a chance to chat to him beforehand and was delighted to find out he's a proper fan-boy, just like us! He's possibly going to do the the DWCon next year :D

Also found out that he used to work in the Covent Garden Waterstones way back when I used to work round the corner and used to pop in at lunch times! He was manager of the fantasy & SciFi section, so I definitely would have actually met him at the till at some point - small old world innit?

He's also done a deal with Simon Pegg & Nick Frost's production company to make a TV adaptation of the Rivers of London series. Ben won't be showrunner or writing all the scripts, but he will be executive producer and have final say over anything - so am really hopeful that this could be good :D No time-line yet for when production will start as yet.

You'll like this then...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tldu63RKu40
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby chrisboote » Thu Jun 13, 2019 02:17 pm

I've got hold of the later Invisible Library books by Genevieve Cogman - whom I know quite well through my freeform weekend hobby

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Invisible-Libr ... 1447256239

So I reread 1 & 2 at the beginning of the week, finished 3 yesterday and started 4 today, will have finished both it & 5 by the weekend
I like them - although, a little like the Jim Butcher Harry Dresden novels, they are getting slightly formulaic, they are still well written and absorbing

And pre ordered 6 after seeing it when I went to Amazon to get the link for this post :)
chrisboote

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Jun 13, 2019 05:34 pm

chrisboote wrote:You'll like this then...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tldu63RKu40
:D That was really good and I've not seen it before - 'nk you Mister B :thumbl:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby steeljam » Thu Jun 13, 2019 09:52 pm

Just finished October Man by Ben Aaronovitch.
It was a refreshing change to sees a different perspective than the Folly-based stories.
Set in Germany involving the wine industry.
I hope this will be an ongoing theme.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby phalarope » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:51 am

chrisboote wrote:I've got hold of the later Invisible Library books by Genevieve Cogman
Nicked the first one out of the book swap box at NADWCon based on Chris' recommendation. :thumbr: :lol: Started it on the plane home and am enjoying it so far.

Chris and I hosted a discussion called 'What are you reading when you're not reading Terry', modeled on this thread, and it was quite successful. :D Lots of audience participation, and we actually managed to stray away from fantasy and sci-fi occasionally, although not for long.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby phazedout » Fri Jul 19, 2019 03:07 pm

*deep breath*
With my ears: Chronicles of saint mary's book 5 (title forgotten) by Jodi Taylor
On electrocnical booky format: October Man Ben aaranovitch.
Delgithed to see both authors are guests at dwcon 2020, happy phaze
In dead Tree Format: Abaddon's gate, book 3 of the expanse by James S A Corey, with book 4 in the short term (i.e. borrowed from librayr) TBR pile
on the back bruner
Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman
I dip in and out of it.
That's all for the minute, took goodreads "100 book challange" this year, I'm roughly on scheudle that's about two books a week.
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Sat Jul 20, 2019 06:26 pm

Oook!

I'm re-reading Gail Carriger's Finishing School series - I'm doing the series in the correct order, since I started reading her things with The Parasol Protectorate when I was first introduced to her books.
What ape? Oook! :book:
Librarians Apprentice

Postby DavidAHarvey » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:23 pm

I've finished One Damn Thing After Another by Jodi Taylor, the first in the Chronicles of St Mary's series. Good enough fun that I'll pick up the next one if it turns up on offer.
After a bit of a gap I came back to the highly enjoyable River of London series with Foxglove Summer by Ben Aaronovich. Fun to see Peter outside his comfort zone and also to get a bit more of the background history of British magic.
On the go at the moment is a, long overdue, first rereading of Raising Steam which is proving a bit of a challenge.
Cosmo, Prince of Denmark, not the greatest man at darts; the reason English Kings often come in several parts.
DavidAHarvey

Postby chrisboote » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:07 am

phazedout wrote:That's all for the minute, took goodreads "100 book challange" this year, I'm roughly on scheudle that's about two books a week.

I'm not halving my book-reading just for some challenge :lol: :lol: :lol:
chrisboote

Postby Ural4320 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 04:23 pm

I managed to get my hands on a fascinating book, "All of mankind's beauty", which is, as the title doesn't show, about WW2. The title is due to the fact that the main character is a Soviet war correspondent who writes very human, touching portraits of the soldiers he interviews, in which he shows that even in the middle of a serious contender for the worst wars to ever fight in, people don't lose their humanity and are still able to enjoy moments of peace, beauty, even if they're quickly passing by between two artillery bombardments.
Ural4320

PreviousNext

Return to The Reading Room