Discworld

Dr Who

The bit of the forum where you can be the director, producer, and critic of anything that is movie related in a Discworldly sort of way.

Re: Dr Who

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:23 am

Just watched the first episode of the new series and actually really liked it :D

Bit of a daft, Predator type, story line, I grant you, but I guess they just needed a vehicle for the recently regenerated Doctor to run about a bit while Jodie Whitaker got her teeth in to the role. I rather like her in the role and just hope they come up with better and more meaty story lines, with less of the touchy-feely stuff in future. If only they hadn't killed off Michelle Gomez as the Master!

Didn't like what they did to the theme tune at the end though.

What did everyone else think?
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker
 
Posts: 4571
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:00 am
Location: London

Re: Dr Who

Postby Darren » Mon Oct 08, 2018 01:17 pm

I'm still wondering why just because she's now female she seems to be immune to going splat when falling from a great height and using a train as a landing pad? And no, I'm not even going to theorise about airbags... :twisted:

Especially given such a scenario killed off Tom Baker's era (albeit at Jodrell Bank rather than Sheffield, and without the train).
Grumpy old mod.
User avatar
Darren
Moderator
 
Posts: 8963
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2005 01:03 pm
Location: Forn parts all too often

Re: Dr Who

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Oct 08, 2018 01:26 pm

Darren wrote:I'm still wondering why just because she's now female she seems to be immune to going splat when falling from a great height and using a train as a landing pad? And no, I'm not even going to theorise about airbags... :twisted:

:lol:
She'd have to be the other way up for her, ahem, airbags to work in the train landing scenario. :wink: I thought that while the Doctor is regenerating they are pretty much indestrucrable? Didn't David Tennant fall off a spaceship when he was regenerating?
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker
 
Posts: 4571
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:00 am
Location: London

Re: Dr Who

Postby Darren » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:45 pm

I'd always thought it was the other way around (witness the Impossible Astronaut bit of Smith getting shot whilst doing the amber lightshow) but I guess that's during regen rather than just afterwards.

It still felt oddly out of place and rather quickly glossed over anyway, at least to me.
Grumpy old mod.
User avatar
Darren
Moderator
 
Posts: 8963
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2005 01:03 pm
Location: Forn parts all too often

Re: Dr Who

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Dec 10, 2018 04:37 pm

Just caught up on yesterday's Doctor Who - every time the Doctor said "he's not the Creator!", I automatically screeched "he's a very naughty boy!" at the telly . . .

. . . I may need help . . . :lol:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker
 
Posts: 4571
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:00 am
Location: London

Re: Dr Who

Postby phalarope » Tue Dec 11, 2018 01:40 am

Grace Speaker wrote:Just caught up on yesterday's Doctor Who - every time the Doctor said "he's not the Creator!", I automatically screeched "he's a very naughty boy!" at the telly . . .

. . . I may need help . . . :lol:

Not at all, you are quite normal. (I am rewatching MP documentaries and and reading a book about Cleese's tenure as a visiting professor at Cornell). Life of Brian may enter my Christmas video watching ritual, along with The Hogfather, Scrooge, and A Blackadder Christmas Carol. Humbug, Mr. Baldrick?
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
phalarope
 
Posts: 4077
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:20 am
Location: St. Michaels, County of Talbot, Maryland, USA

Re: Dr Who

Postby steeljam » Tue Dec 11, 2018 02:03 am

phalarope wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote:Just caught up on yesterday's Doctor Who - every time the Doctor said "he's not the Creator!", I automatically screeched "he's a very naughty boy!" at the telly . . .
. . . I may need help . . . :lol:

Not at all, you are quite normal. (I am rewatching MP documentaries and and reading a book about Cleese's tenure as a visiting professor at Cornell). Life of Brian may enter my Christmas video watching ritual, along with The Hogfather, Scrooge, and A Blackadder Christmas Carol. Humbug, Mr. Baldrick?

Apparently, Dumb and Dumber are big sellers on both sides of the pond.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
steeljam
Monitor
 
Posts: 17429
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 06:54 pm
Location: Welling in Kent

Re: Dr Who

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Dec 13, 2018 03:04 pm

steeljam wrote:Apparently, Dumb and Dumber are big sellers on both sides of the pond.
Why don't we having 'blowing a raspberry' emoji on here?! :lol:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker
 
Posts: 4571
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:00 am
Location: London

Re: Dr Who

Postby Darren » Thu Dec 13, 2018 05:29 pm

:P is normally close enough
Grumpy old mod.
User avatar
Darren
Moderator
 
Posts: 8963
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2005 01:03 pm
Location: Forn parts all too often

Previous

Return to Moving Pictures

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron