Discworld

5p Morporkia Blue sheet error - was it real?

General Stamp discussion.

5p Morporkia Blue sheet error - was it real?

Postby phalarope » Sun Mar 10, 2019 08:22 pm

A question for the Olde Guarde, and maybe at this jucture only Bernard knows.... **(maybe Colin, maybe Doc Brown???)

In the original Stanley Howler Album pages, bought from the Emporium, printed on green paper, there is a page titled 5p Morporkia Blue. The text reads
Orange tints over a white background
with central numeral at top.
Under which Morporkia girdled,
fork in the ascendant.
Size: 35 x 40 mm.
Machine perfs (13/2cm).
Unlimited.

There follows a full size image of an ORANGE 5p Morporkia. Underneath the illustration is "Issued Dec 2005" in bold type.

There is a second page titled 5 Pence Morporkia Orange with the following description:
Orange tints over a white background. Morporkia
girdled, fork in ascent and the Ankh-Morpork coat of arms on a shield.
35 * 40
Machine perfs (13.5/2cm).
Unlimited sheet of 20.

There follows a full size image of an ORANGE 5p Morporkia. Based on the cropping, a pulled perf, and colour intensity, this looks like a different stamp was scanned for each page.

Following the image there is caption text reading "(replaces the original sheet incorrectly headed '5p Morporkia Blue')"

There's no error sheet in Steve's really useful catalog website. The sheet of the correct stamps isn't headed Morporkia Orange, and the original 5p Blue didn't have selvedge markings.

SOOOOOO............... can ANYBODY shed light on this mystery error. Was it real? Or was it the product of the Sports Fairy (glingle glingle glingle), meant to drive Flatelists madder then we already are? (Have I posted this question before? :? )

:idea: Oh my sainted aunt - I think I've just figured this out after writing the whole post above. :roll: :roll: :roll: :oops: :twisted: I am an idiot. Waaaaaay too much linear thinking. The caption text doesn't refer to a sheet of stamps but to a sheet in an album, aka a PAGE. :roll: The first PAGE had an incorrect TITLE, and the word 'headed' of the parenthetical caption refers to the TITLE of the original erroneous PAGE. **bangs head on table** You can't IMAGINE the TIME (YEARS) I've spent trying to figure out why NOBODY has ever heard of this mystery stamp. :oops: :oops: I mean really, who would print that text on the replacement page, instead of enclosing a note to that effect. AAAARRRRGH! Maybe I should post this on the Aaarrgh page. :lol:

OK Ian, wanna make a new GCTS item to go on that erroneous page? 5p Morporkia Orange sheet with selvedge text reading "Morporkia Blue"?:lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Return to The Stamps