Discworld

What are you reading when not on this forum IV

For literary discussions, of both Pratchett and other authors.

Re: What are you reading when not on this forum IV

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun May 13, 2018 03:24 pm

phalarope wrote:How many cups of tea are you in, now? :wink:
:lol: I've lost count! Have just finished the second book and realised with horror that the 3rd book wasn't delivered with the others :shock: :( So I've got to wait until the postman arrives tomorrow . . . and find something to occupy myself so I don't give in to temptation and start reading the 4th in the meantime :evil:

It looks like I'll actually have to do some **shudders at the thought** housework instead . . . and I thought being subjected to Eurovision last night was punishment enough for my sins!!
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby steeljam » Sun May 13, 2018 07:08 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:
:lol: I've lost count! Have just finished the second book and realised with horror that the 3rd book wasn't delivered with the others :shock: :( So I've got to wait until the postman arrives tomorrow . . . and find something to occupy myself so I don't give in to temptation and start reading the 4th in the meantime :evil:

You can skip the third book - the butler did it :thumbl:
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun May 13, 2018 07:23 pm

steeljam wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote:

You can skip the third book - the butler did it :thumbl:
:lol:
Oh, not him again?!? :roll: In the library, with the lead piping was it?
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Catch-up » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:36 am

Just finished the most recent in the Rivers of London series. Love those books! Also recently read a book called An Absolutely Remarkable Thing. A little frustrating from a plot perspective regarding the ending - unless there's going to be a sequel, but I didn't get that impression. But, the psychology of internet fame displayed by the main character is fascinating!

For whatever reason, I've given up on a good half dozen books after getting about half way through. I guess I just tried to slog through them longer than I should have.
Catch-up

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:04 am

Went to a Ben Aaronovitch's (author of the Rivers Of London series) talk at Daunt Books in Hampstead yesterday evening and was delighted to find out that he's such a genuinely nice bloke!

I got there a bit early so had a chance to chat to him beforehand and was delighted to find out he's a proper fan-boy, just like us! He's possibly going to do the the DWCon next year :D

Also found out that he used to work in the Covent Garden Waterstones way back when I used to work round the corner and used to pop in at lunch times! He was manager of the fantasy & SciFi section, so I definitely would have actually met him at the till at some point - small old world innit?

He's also done a deal with Simon Pegg & Nick Frost's production company to make a TV adaptation of the Rivers of London series. Ben won't be showrunner or writing all the scripts, but he will be executive producer and have final say over anything - so am really hopeful that this could be good :D No time-line yet for when production will start as yet.
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby chrisboote » Thu Jun 13, 2019 02:14 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:Went to a Ben Aaronovitch's (author of the Rivers Of London series) talk at Daunt Books in Hampstead yesterday evening and was delighted to find out that he's such a genuinely nice bloke!

I got there a bit early so had a chance to chat to him beforehand and was delighted to find out he's a proper fan-boy, just like us! He's possibly going to do the the DWCon next year :D

Also found out that he used to work in the Covent Garden Waterstones way back when I used to work round the corner and used to pop in at lunch times! He was manager of the fantasy & SciFi section, so I definitely would have actually met him at the till at some point - small old world innit?

He's also done a deal with Simon Pegg & Nick Frost's production company to make a TV adaptation of the Rivers of London series. Ben won't be showrunner or writing all the scripts, but he will be executive producer and have final say over anything - so am really hopeful that this could be good :D No time-line yet for when production will start as yet.

You'll like this then...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tldu63RKu40
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby chrisboote » Thu Jun 13, 2019 02:17 pm

I've got hold of the later Invisible Library books by Genevieve Cogman - whom I know quite well through my freeform weekend hobby

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Invisible-Libr ... 1447256239

So I reread 1 & 2 at the beginning of the week, finished 3 yesterday and started 4 today, will have finished both it & 5 by the weekend
I like them - although, a little like the Jim Butcher Harry Dresden novels, they are getting slightly formulaic, they are still well written and absorbing

And pre ordered 6 after seeing it when I went to Amazon to get the link for this post :)
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Jun 13, 2019 05:34 pm

chrisboote wrote:You'll like this then...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tldu63RKu40
:D That was really good and I've not seen it before - 'nk you Mister B :thumbl:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby steeljam » Thu Jun 13, 2019 09:52 pm

Just finished October Man by Ben Aaronovitch.
It was a refreshing change to sees a different perspective than the Folly-based stories.
Set in Germany involving the wine industry.
I hope this will be an ongoing theme.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby phalarope » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:51 am

chrisboote wrote:I've got hold of the later Invisible Library books by Genevieve Cogman
Nicked the first one out of the book swap box at NADWCon based on Chris' recommendation. :thumbr: :lol: Started it on the plane home and am enjoying it so far.

Chris and I hosted a discussion called 'What are you reading when you're not reading Terry', modeled on this thread, and it was quite successful. :D Lots of audience participation, and we actually managed to stray away from fantasy and sci-fi occasionally, although not for long.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby phazedout » Fri Jul 19, 2019 03:07 pm

*deep breath*
With my ears: Chronicles of saint mary's book 5 (title forgotten) by Jodi Taylor
On electrocnical booky format: October Man Ben aaranovitch.
Delgithed to see both authors are guests at dwcon 2020, happy phaze
In dead Tree Format: Abaddon's gate, book 3 of the expanse by James S A Corey, with book 4 in the short term (i.e. borrowed from librayr) TBR pile
on the back bruner
Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman
I dip in and out of it.
That's all for the minute, took goodreads "100 book challange" this year, I'm roughly on scheudle that's about two books a week.
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Sat Jul 20, 2019 06:26 pm

Oook!

I'm re-reading Gail Carriger's Finishing School series - I'm doing the series in the correct order, since I started reading her things with The Parasol Protectorate when I was first introduced to her books.
What ape? Oook! :book:
Librarians Apprentice

Previous

Return to The Reading Room